• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Printing from Macbook Air with no Wi-Fi (wired)

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Brother printer/fax at work. There is no Wi-Fi. I want to print from my Macbook Air (if possible) using the printer/fax. I have attached a photo of the back of my printer showing a port. I have no idea what that port is for...I just thought I will give it a try in asking. Maybe there are adapters of some sort I can connect between my Air and fax/printer

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi,

I have a Brother printer/fax at work. There is no Wi-Fi. I want to print from my Macbook Air (if possible) using the printer/fax. I have attached a photo of the back of my printer showing a port. I have no idea what that port is for...I just thought I will give it a try in asking. Maybe there are adapters of some sort I can connect between my Air and fax/printer

Well, there is no photo attached and you needed to provide the exact model of the printer - on most printers (even older ones), a USB port should be available; an ethernet port would be another consideration; now if it's an 'ancient' printer, then a parallel port could be present (BOY, that takes me back to my first printer, i.e. an Epson dot matrix) - attached is a pic of a DB-25 parallel printer port - I'm assuming that you know the appearance of the others?

So, once you figure out the printer's port, a cabled connection, and likely a need to put printer driver software on the Brother machine would be necessary. Good luck - Dave :)

300px-Parallel_computer_printer_port.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm not at work right now so I wouldn't be able to tell you the model of the printer. However, I bought it this year, it is very new. I will look for a USB port tomorrow on the printer. My Air does not have a ethernet port so I don't think it can connect to the printer that way.

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 12.17.30 am.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello again - that's just the other male end of a USB cable - the one you likely know goes into your computer; the other is for the printer (or scanner, etc.) - so you simply need a USB cable w/ the different male ends - then visit the Brother website and look for driver (et al) downloads for the printer. Dave :)

USB-Cable-.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My Air does not have a ethernet port so I don't think it can connect to the printer that way.

If the printer has an ethernet port…and if it's a newer MacBook Air with a Thunderbolt port…then I believe you need a Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter for an ethernet connection. Or you can get a USB to ethernet adapter.

Edit: Or go the USB route RadDave mentioned.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.