Printing a PDF book

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
Hi,
I am preparing to print this book. I have not decided on the type of binding yet. It's a toss up between this and a variation of this.

Method one is labour intensive, but I end up with a book that will lay fairly flat after it is finished.

What my issue is: I want to be able to shift the PDF so it prints away from the spine so that I have extra room at the spine, so I can decide later if I want to do the Japanese binding. Right now when I print the book on one side there is a 1 9/16" on the right side of the page and 1 3/8" on the left side of the page.

So- How do I shift the PDF away from the spine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Off set margins, though this is normally set up in the original document before converting to PDF. I do not believe Adobe PDF reader will allow this, though PDF pro may allow it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So- How do I shift the PDF away from the spine?

As member Jimmysb already mentioned, this is normally done in the Page Layout and margins area for the document you are creating with whatever Application you happen to be using for creating your Book.

Keep a close watch out for any specific options on Gutter Margins.

Many Applications that are used for printing books often have a layout and margins options area often with an extra option that widens the spine margins progressively wider the thicker and the greater the number of pages the book has. Your Application may have such an option, but you did not mention which one you are using, so check out it's options.

By the way, I don't know why you would be insisting on using a PDF format to print out the book.

Unless you are using Adobe's Application versions, you may be restricting your options, especially regarding variable and gutter margins.

Just In case you might need some suggestions for an application to use, maybe check out this list of hits:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Method one is labour intensive, but I end up with a book that will lay fairly flat after it is finished.

What my issue is: I want to be able to shift the PDF so it prints away from the spine

I think that the solution to your problem (both cutting down on the labor involved and getting things set up so that they are perfect for the print bureau you use) is to get a good page layout program. The really good news is that you can get one that is easy to use and very inexpensive:

Swift Publisher ($20)
Swift Publisher — Desktop Publishing and Page Layout Software for Mac

Review:
http://www.macworld.com/article/299...d-desktop-publishing-for-next-to-nothing.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.