Printers Offline on MBPro BUT Working on Other Devices - Easy Fix or Not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - recurrent issue over the years for me and others from searching - have 2 printers (brands/models below in pic) - the Canon Inkjet is cabled to my iMac but also does AirPrint; the Brother Laser is wireless - trying to print last night from my MBPro and in System Preferences, both printers are 'Offline' - however, I can AirPrint from my iPad Pro to both and both are online and idle on my MBAir! I can also print from my iMac and easily open the web interface w/ the Brother printer on the 'online' computers but not the MBPro?

This has happened to me before and fussing w/ the network settings and/or reinstalling the printers works, BUT why isn't there just an easy fix in this situation - not quite ready to go through the installation redo - comments and suggestions please. Thanks - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 5.02.13 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 5.02.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 5.02.13 PM.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you restart the Mac(s), or the printer(s)?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Have you updated or upgraded your MBP recently? Often this is a driver or connection issue caused by changes to the macOS and yes, deleting and reinstalling the printer has always worked for me because it forces the MBP to search for updated drivers and or software.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you restart the Mac(s), or the printer(s)?

Have you updated or upgraded your MBP recently? Often this is a driver or connection issue caused by changes to the macOS and yes, deleting and reinstalling the printer has always worked for me because it forces the MBP to search for updated drivers and or software.

Hi Guys - thanks for your quick responses - first, I did reboot the MBPro & powered off the Brother printer w/ no effect - plus, updated the Brother's firmware to latest on their website; second, also did the macOS 10.15.7 Supplemental update last week on all 3 Macs - the MBPro is the oldest of my 3 computers (early 2013). I've done deletions/reinstallations of printers before - just a PITA but may be the only option? Dave :)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Maybe, I have noticed that just plugging the printer in via USB (if you can do that with the wireless printer) then turning it on often initiates a download of additional software from Mac Software Update which may be independent of the manufacturer's updates. Alternatively you may be in the unenviable position of having updated to an operating system that is no longer compatible with that printer.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick update - I was loathed to delete and reinstall the printers on the MBPro, especially since I rarely AirPrint from this computer - but remained baffled why my other devices still worked fine wirelessly! :unsure:

So, this morning I simply changed my networks and then returned to my regular home SSID - the printers came online (as seen below), and I was able to open the web pages of both using their assigned router URLs - don't know if this led to the change in printer status, but was at least simple - :cool: Dave
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 12.22.02 PM.png

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, that was a simple fix. It's surprising how often the old "turn it off and back on" principal works. In your case it was the network but it just shows we should always try the easy path first. Its why we often suggest rebooting devices or removing and reinstalling stuff.
Anyway, thanks so much for the feedback and congratulations on getting your laser printer back up and running.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just another update FYI post to those dealing w/ these issues - I use an Apple Extreme Router which I'm assuming is the culprit, but noticed that my Wi-Fi network would suddenly switch from my 'usual home SSID' to my 'Guest Network' (maybe signal strength changes?) - well, as explained previously that is when my printers went 'offline' on my laptop, switching back to my home SSID set each online - OK that issued solved.

Well, I have Sonos speakers in our bedroom, one w/ Alexa which I use to stream music and also voice-control an adjacent smart lightbulb - when my home Wi-Fi switched to the 'Guest SSID', my music stopped and the light bulb did not respond to Alexa! So, I went into the Airport Utility and turned off the guest network (which is almost never used except....) - corrected the 'switching networks', but the other day I was checking my lawn irrigation software (own the newer Rainbird unit shown below w/ a Wi-Fi module) - would NOT connect - then I remembered since my irrigation/landscape lighting guy can change the settings w/ his cell phone, I had put the system on my guess network w/ a different password. So, reactivated the router's guest option and the Rainbird software worked again.

But then my home SSIDs went back to doing 'musical chairs' - finally, I went into my Wi-Fi settings on my iPad and turned off 'Auto-Join' on the guest network (second pic) - NOW, Alexa is happy, can turn my bedroom light 'on and off' w/ voice activation, my printers stay online, and I can view my lawn irrigation settings.

Apologize for this extra info, but a frustrating chain of events w/ a simple solution! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 3.06.05 PM.png
IMG_1818.PNG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It took my old brain awhile to get through all your switching of the guest network on and off, but I admit afterward I had a good laugh.

I think it might be time though to update your old Airport Router to something more modern and one that's supported by the latest technology?

How about a new Mesh system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Even with an updated router, the AutoJoin function can trap all of us. I stream music in my car through the iPhone. Every time I drive past a home or business with a free Xfinity WiFi Hotspot, my phone would try to connect, cut off the music and not go back to cellular. I finally told it to forget the hotspot and turned off AutoJoin. Dave, I feel your pain!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I stream music in my car through the iPhone.

Both of my autos have car play but I've been too lazy to copy all my music from my CD collection on to my iPhone so I could stream it thru the car's system.

Instead for the next year I took a SiriusXM subscription at their special rates. I have to admit they have a very large variety of music which I like. I probably will not resubscribe at the regular rates though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like classical music. I found ClassicFM, a radio station in the UK, that streams over the internet. Their playlist is pretty good, so I prefer them over SiriusXM. We have SiriusXM in my wife's car, so the app on my phone could let me stream SiriusXM in my car, but as I said, I prefer ClassicFM.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It took my old brain awhile to get through all your switching of the guest network on and off, but I admit afterward I had a good laugh.

I think it might be time though to update your old Airport Router to something more modern and one that's supported by the latest technology?

How about a new Mesh system?

Hey Guys - LOL! :) Just one simple setting would have stopped all of my woes from the start! Next time, I'll know (hopefully?) - I've been looking into replacing my 7 y/o router for the last several years since Apple got out of the business - will likely go w/ a 2 node Mesh System (son has one and recommends) - but the old Extreme is still working fine, so time to think about my options - probably should just replace? - Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, one way to avoid the issue in the future is to put a password on the guest account and then never log into it yourself so that none of your devices can accidentally switch over. As for a mesh router, I have one and definitely recommend one. I have a two story home, with a basement, and had some really bad dead spots. I got a Netgear Orbi system with two satellites and have the main on the ground floor, one satellite upstairs and one in the basement. No more dead spots! Definitely better than the retired AirPort Extreme I had before.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, one way to avoid the issue in the future is to put a password on the guest account and then never log into it yourself so that none of your devices can accidentally switch over. As for a mesh router, I have one and definitely recommend one. I have a two story home, with a basement, and had some really bad dead spots. I got a Netgear Orbi system with two satellites and have the main on the ground floor, one satellite upstairs and one in the basement. No more dead spots! Definitely better than the retired AirPort Extreme I had before.

Hi Jake - thanks for your excellent comments and recommendations. I likely logged into my 'Guest Account' years ago just to test - the 'do not join' disable button seems to have worked fine and I won't have the need to relay a new PW to my lawn watering service man. My house is a standard ranch, 2400 sq ft w/ the same size combo of a basement/garage + a good sized enclosed porch - I can get Wi-Fi in all needed locations w/ the AirPort Extreme so 'dead spots', etc. not a big reason to change; however, lack of Apple support and old technology (802.11n) are certainly good considerations - I've been looking at Mesh Routing for a number of years and waiting for prices to drop (just need 2 nodes) - maybe now is the time to change? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing I like about the Netgear is that the internal communications between the nodes is on a separate backchannel, so they aren't using up the bandwidth on the "public" side, where my devices are attached. And it was pretty much plug'n'play to set it up. For two nodes, it's not terribly expensive to go mesh and the results were, for me, pretty amazing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.