Printer shareing.

H

Hexal

Hello there, I my self use a PC, but recently my friend moved in with us and uses a ibook for school this year. I know very little about Macs and im a tad confused about how to set up the network and printer sharing.

What i would like to do is to have him be able to print from his computer to the printer hooked up to mine(Hp Photosmart 7150). And also be able to access the network places and me be able to access his, if thats possible. Now ive been looking at this all day and im not sure what to do, i read on here things like samba and cups and somethings else i think. Im really not sure whats best and how im to go about setting this up.

Im running XP, and he has ibook with OS 10.3.

Any kind of explaination or links to setting this up would help tons. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you already have a network setup, then all you need to do is goto the printer in Windows, right click on it and choose "share".

After that, have him go and add a printer in OS X and choose "Windows Printing" as the option. He should be able to browse to the printer and add it.

OP
H

Hexal

You see thats what i thought, but he kept getting something like NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED. i searched that and came up with unix stuff mostly(mac os is based off unix?) and it wouldnt let him go. perhaps its something stupid i missed, im not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Yep, the core of Mac OS X is Darwin, a Mac port of FreeBSD, which is Unix ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.