Printer not found by iMac ( no IP address ) Internet crashes

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" 5K 1 TB ssd OS = Monterey 12.6.1
Apparently we both missed something Patrick. The Epson he has is definitely a wireless printer. That is if it is in fact the one he has?

Epson hasn't produced a non wireless printer in a very long time. My old Epson NX 420 is wireless and it was purchased back in 2013 as a $100 rebate when I bought my 2013 iMac.
Apparently we both missed something Patrick. The Epson he has is definitely a wireless printer. That is if it is in fact the one he has?

Epson hasn't produced a non wireless printer in a very long time. My old Epson NX 420 is wireless and it was purchased back in 2013 as a $100 rebate when I bought my 2013 iMac.
The Epson 7880 printer is not wireless and was purchased in 2009

The Epson XP960 is wireless.

Cheers

Bernard

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, sorry about that. We misread your first post thinking it was wireless. It's actually a large format printer that has been discontinued by Epson.

The 5 meter length for USB seems to be what Epson and others say is the maximum length. You can try the 6 meter cable is you wish, but make sure you can get a refund if it does not work right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
However, Epson say in the manual that the maximum is 5 mtrs . Does anybody know which is correct before I purchase the cable?

Once again, a Google search can be your friend and be very helpful:

Product description
Size :32ft
Due to its design, USB cable has a normal maximum length of about 5 meters (16.4-Feet ), but you can get longer distances by using an active USB extension cable from Monoprice! This is a bus-powered extension cable that can be used to increase the length of a device without any signal loss or potential performance problems. It contains active electronics, which boost the USB signal for maximum reliability and performance over extended distances. The cable operates as self-powered extender, for use with USB cameras, printers, webcams, keyboard/mouse, etc. It Is a true plug-and-play device. No additional drivers are required. It supports Win98/2000/XP/Vista/7, mac OS v9.0 Or higher, and Linux. It can also be used with many types of USB devices, including the Xbox Kinect* and the eye of the ps3 Move! Important notes for Kinect users: 1. You can use this cable to connect the USB version of the Kinect only. It is not compatible with the proprietary Kinect connector. If you have a Kinect connector, please use PID 8487. 2. The Kinect requires more power than traditional USB ports are capable of providing. In order to prevent damage to equipment, Microsoft has designed the Kinect with a proprietary connector. If your Kinect did not come with a USB/Power adapter, you must purchase one from Microsoft before you can use this extension cable.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004HJDUW0/

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick update.. I bought a 5 mtr extender USB 2.0 and connected my 1 mtr usb type a to type b .. this is working just fine ... Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Cheers

Bernard

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Brilliant. Thanks fo the follow up, Bernard.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just the installation of a newer driver for the printer now.

Don't forget to do a backup first, or at least keep a copy of the old driver just in case...

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Epson newest driver (10.85) downloaded and installed and the Mac OS has applied it to the already installed Stylus Pro 7880 Printer.. Got to check the firmware version on the printer now... I know that it is very outdated but do you need to update the firmware?

Cheers

Bernard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.