Printer Hanging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Can anyone help with this please? I have been successfully using an Epson P50 on my Mac running OSX V 10.8.5 for 9 months. Suddenly, it has stopped working.
On the printer job list I get "sending data to printer" and nothing further happens

I have tried a different USB port, I have tried resetting printing system to delete and reselect the printer and tried switching of the Mac and Epson and restarting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Try a different USB cable - if no help, the printer has likely failed.
(any lights flashing on the printer? any ink cartridge empty?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the P50 a printer you purchased and have used for only 9 months or is it an older printer? And have you tried using the Epson utilities to print a test page? If the printer is only 9 months old and has failed (print head, electronics, etc) it should still be covered under the Epson one year warranty.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Try a different USB cable - if no help, the printer has likely failed.
(any lights flashing on the printer? any ink cartridge empty?)

No flashing lights.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the P50 a printer you purchased and have used for only 9 months or is it an older printer? And have you tried using the Epson utilities to print a test page? If the printer is only 9 months old and has failed (print head, electronics, etc) it should still be covered under the Epson one year warranty.

It won't print a test page. I will check out the purchase date thanks but I think it will be out of warranty now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have had 3 power cuts recently when the mac has been switched on. I wondered if the Driver may have been corrupted?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have now tried my P50 on a Windows PC and it works so no problem with the printer. It has to be an issue with the Mac OS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the printer works attached to a PC then it's not a hardware problem. Re-set the printing system again, and reinstall the driver for the P50. Go through the Epson setup once more.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the printer works attached to a PC then it's not a hardware problem. Re-set the printing system again, and reinstall the driver for the P50. Go through the Epson setup once more.

Thank you. I have tried that but still the same. It seems to me that by resetting the printer in Settings, and then reinstalling, I am reinstalling the same file? Is it possible that the file has been corrupted and that I would need to download the driver again?

If so, how would ensure that the original file is deleted and I have a new copy of the file installed?

Reaction score
At the risk of making a dumb comment ... have you made sure that the print queue for the printer is not just in stopped mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I have now tried my P50 on a Windows PC and it works so no problem with the printer. It has to be an issue with the Mac OS?

That was good troubleshooting!

You are right that Reset Printing System re-indexes "where to find drivers" and that includes drivers already installed. So yes, it could be using the same driver over and over again.

Go to /Library/Printers and delete the EPSON folder, and in the PPDs/Content/Resources/en.lproj folder, delete all the Epsonxxx.ppd.gz files.
Now Reset Printing System, then add the printer again in Print & Scan prefs.

(don't install anything - let OS X auto-download and install)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was good troubleshooting!

You are right that Reset Printing System re-indexes "where to find drivers" and that includes drivers already installed. So yes, it could be using the same driver over and over again.

Go to /Library/Printers and delete the EPSON folder, and in the PPDs/Content/Resources/en.lproj folder, delete all the Epsonxxx.ppd.gz files.
Now Reset Printing System, then add the printer again in Print & Scan prefs.

(don't install anything - let OS X auto-download and install)

Thank you. I have deleted the Epson folder in Library but can you tell me where to find the PPDs folder? Have tried search in Finder but nothing shows.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I have deleted the Epson folder in Library but can you tell me where to find the PPDs folder? Have tried search in Finder but nothing shows.

Try the Finder Go menu > Go to Folder, and type in /Library/Printers/PPDs
(not all system folders/files show up normally)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much, found it now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try the Finder Go menu > Go to Folder, and type in /Library/Printers/PPDs
(not all system folders/files show up normally)

Success! All now working. Thank you very much for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.