Printer Driver: Am I out of luck?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
I have a beautiful Samsung ML-1740 B&W laser printer. I just love it.

But the CD isn't read by my MBP.

Samsung's website is no help either:
Support for ML-1740 SAMSUNG

What next? Do I have to buy a new printer? That would be a bummer; I really like this one, and it was kind of spendy.

I tried a couple of the generic drivers that were in the list for system preferences; no dice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you have access to another computer then you can try copying the CD on the other computer and then see if the copy will work. It doesn't matter if the other computer is Mac or PC as long as you can make a copy of the CD.

The other thing you can try if you have access to another computer that can read your CD is to copy all the files onto a USB flash drive and then install it on your Mac. If you printer doesn't support Mac then that's a different issue.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Or get an external DVD drive.

OP
JeremyZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the driver will work if I can just get it off of the CD?

I thought it had to be a Mac-specific driver.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It does have to be a Mac driver. If the disc only has Windows drivers, don't bother fighting with it.

Oddly enough, when searching for drivers for you, I found Mac drivers on the Samsung Australia website but they are quite old (which I suppose is better than none on the US site). You can get them here. I can't guarantee they will work though.

OP
JeremyZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks vansmith. I found the page, downloaded and installed it. But now, I don't have any idea which one of those drivers I should try using. There are dozens of them.

...or am I looking in the wrong place?

12252d1266114922-printer-driver-am-i-out-luck-which_driver.png

Attachments

• Which_driver.png
    Which_driver.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 16

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.