previous tabs dont close

Reaction score
whenever I wake up the computer all the previous tabs appear. There was a setting that closed all tabs when a new tab was opened. I can't find that setting now and it is driving me (&&^&()(*. Please help. Thank you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am not aware of a setting in "any" web browser that will close all existing tabs when a new tab is opened.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
whenever I wake up the computer all the previous tabs appear. There was a setting that closed all tabs when a new tab was opened. I can't find that setting now and it is driving me (&&^&()(*. Please help. Thank you.

How about telling us which browser you're using? Browsers have a setting that will take you back to where you left off when you quit the browser. That setting will open all the tabs you had open when you quit. You need to uncheck that setting if you want your browser to start without all the previous tabs being open.

OP
C
Reaction score
I should have given additional information to my request for help. I am running Chrome as my browser and I am not able to find any box to uncheck. It started after I restarted the computer from an update. Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also use Chrome. Open Chrome preferences, go to "On Startup", select "Open a specific page........". Make sure you do not select "Continue where you left off" or "Open the new tab page".

That preference "Open a specific page" will also take you to your home page each time and not leave other tabs open. In other words, all the previous tabs will be closed. Make sure you clear history and the web cache also.

OP
C
Reaction score
I also use Chrome. Open Chrome preferences, go to "On Startup", select "Open a specific page........". Make sure you do not select "Continue where you left off" or "Open the new tab page".

That preference "Open a specific page" will also take you to your home page each time and not leave other tabs open. In other words, all the previous tabs will be closed. Make sure you clear history and the web cache also.

Thanks chscag for your quick reply. I tried your directions, but to no avail. There are six tabs open as I type this response to your instructions. I cleared history and cache, but the problem still remains. Suggestions? Thank you..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do those six tabs open each time you open Chrome even if you close the tabs before leaving Chrome?

OP
C
Reaction score
If I use the "close tab to the right" then just the last tab I was on appears when I open a new browser window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.