Preview won't print at the right size

Reaction score
I downloaded and printed out a voucher from the web, and it printed in tiny font in only the top corner of the A4 page, about 25% of its actual size on the screen. Since then, every pdf I try to print comes out the same. It doesn't matter what print settings I choose in the print dialog box that comes up when I hit the print command. It always prints everything in tiny font, using only 25% of the page. Did I pick up a bug from the web? Any idea how to fix this? It's a new Canon MX535 printer, and it was working fine before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - first are you opening the PDF file in 'Preview' (part of your OS X)? If not, then please provide more details.

Second, if you are using Preview, have you brought up the print feature there? If so, you should be presented w/ the dialog box shown below which provides numerous options - check the 'Default Settings' presets (mine is set to Default - yours may be on 'using last settings'?).

Finally, if not helpful, try to unplug the printer and then power recycle - might clear out the PDF printing problem - also let us know if the printer is working w/ documents, pictures, etc.? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 10.58.21 AM.png

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave. Very comprehensive. I am indeed opening the doc in Preview, and my dialog box looks identical to yours. I'm using Draft Printing on Plain Paper, but nothing to suggest why it's reducing the print size by 75%. I think it picked up a bug from the document I printed out from the web. In any case, all I have done is repair disk permissions, and I just tried printing again - and it's now working fine! Maybe it just needed a 24-hour rest...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks, Dave. Very comprehensive. I am indeed opening the doc in Preview, and my dialog box looks identical to yours. I'm using Draft Printing on Plain Paper, but nothing to suggest why it's reducing the print size by 75%. I think it picked up a bug from the document I printed out from the web. In any case, all I have done is repair disk permissions, and I just tried printing again - and it's now working fine! Maybe it just needed a 24-hour rest...

Great - maybe a 'power recycle' would have also done the trick? Congrats! - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.