• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Preview tab in the dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Hi.Small issue regarding the preview tab on the dock. When I select the tab should it open the photo app or does it open what I select.
At the moment when I go to open the preview tab it opens up Pages is that correct or has something gone wrong over time.I always led to believe it opened up the photos?.
Am I correct or confused.
Thanks so much.:Confused:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What is the "preview tab on the dock"??

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Screenshot 2019-08-20 at 21.35.49.png Good question.The one on the right in the image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
That is the icon, for the Preview app. If you click on it to open Preview, it should open either the last opened file, or the "Open" file dialog box, where you have to go to the file you want to open. If you drop a file on the icon, it will open inside the Preview app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That icon is exactly as Bob says. If it is opening Pages or Photos, that is incorrect. To fix it, drag it off the Dock to the desktop somewhere and drop it. It should go away. Now open Preview from Finder in the Applications folder and when the icon appears on the Dock, right click and then Options and Keep in Dock. Now you can drag the icon from where it is to wherever on the Dock you want it and drop it there to stay.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In short Preview should open the document that you drop onto the icon unless it is a type of file that Preview cannot open.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks to all Now I understand the preview setup
Sorry for delay in reply didn't get email notification.
Big thanks once again.
David.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.