preview export to greyscale

tcp

Reaction score
What has happened to the Preview functionaslity that let one save to greyscale?

C

chas_m

My memory is weak on this point, but ISTR that the functionality was dependent on either one's printer driver or the presence of an Adobe driver ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
What has happened to the Preview functionaslity that let one save to greyscale?

Well, an image can be changed to grayscale in Preview but takes a few steps: 1) First make a copy of the image (just in case); 2) Open the copy in Preview; 3) Either select the editing tool and then the 'Adjust Color' prism or open the Tools menu and pick 'Adjust Color' (see blue arrows in my attached screen capture); 4) Slide the Saturation indicator all the way to the left (see white arrow) - this converted my colorful CD cover art to B&W; and 5) Save the image to the copy and rename as needed.

A more detailed explanation HERE of the same directions. Dave :)

P.S. if you need to 'batch process' a lot of images, then some type of automated routine or another image app might be a better choice?

Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at 11.24.59 AM.png

OP
T

tcp

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Problems like this seem to happen when I'm rushing to prepare material for a talk. Something that I have used many times before is no longer there. And an internet search gives 100 hits all explaining the old way of doing it.

There must be a better way of publicising mods to software??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.