Preventing SAVES to Desktop

Reaction score
How can I prevent a user from saving to the desktop and forcing it to the internal hard drive or an external hard drive? Thanks in advance..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Forcing what? Application? Browser? Screenshot utility??

OP
E
Reaction score
I simply want to stop a user from saving anything to the desktop. I want to force them to have to save it to a folder on an internal disk drive or an external drive. I want only the mounted volumes to show up on the desktop….

Make sense?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How can I prevent a user from saving to the desktop and forcing it to the internal hard drive or an external hard drive? Thanks in advance..

Just so you know. Saving to the desktop is saving to the boot storage device. Which is most cases…is the internal storage device.

Many applications give you the opportunity where to save. So it's a simple matter of saving a document to the desired place (usually some sort of document folder). But…a user can always decide to save it somewhere else.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Just so you know. Saving to the desktop is saving to the boot storage device. Which is most cases…is the internal storage device.

Many applications give you the opportunity where to save. So it's a simple matter of saving a document to the desired place (usually some sort of document folder). But…a user can always decide to save it somewhere else.

- Nick

I agree with all you have said, and yes, I know you can chose thru the app where to save things…

But..

I am dealing with a user that is NOTORIOUS for not saving to a drive and littering the desktop with every save. I want to RESTRICT any saves to the desktop….

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could try changing the permissions to be read only. Right click > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions. I have no idea what long term consequences may occur as a result but that seems like a simple solution.

OP
E
Reaction score
You could try changing the permissions to be read only. Right click > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions. I have no idea what long term consequences may occur as a result but that seems like a simple solution.

That restricts the boot drive, right?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, you change the permissions for the user's Desktop folder (I forgot to be explicit about that).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.