Prevent "Sign In to iCloud

Reaction score
On my new iPhone 6, (which I think is terrific) I use gmail as my mail program. However I'm being hounded by a nag to sign into iCloud whenever I attempt to use gmail. Is there a way to stop this nag and still have the ability to utilize "Find My iPhone"?

Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

C

chas_m

When you say "use Gmail," what do you mean exactly? The default Mail program? The Gmail app? The web browser?

OP
R
Reaction score
chas_m, Sorry for the ambiguity. I'm using the default Mail app that comes with the phone. (What a shock for me, I thought that I was using gmail.) duh...

In any event when I use the mail app, I get a nag to sign into iCloud. This is what I would like to avoid; but still have the ability to utilize the "Find My iPhone" app. Is this possible?

Thank for your response.

Reaction score
When you get that 'nag' to sign into iCloud, are you doing so?

OP
R
Reaction score
No, I prefer to use the Mail app. It appears with every use of the Mail app and is annoying.

Reaction score
No, I prefer to use the Mail app. It appears with every use of the Mail app and is annoying.

Signing into iCloud has little to do with using the Mail app. If you just sign in to your iCloud account the nag will go away and you'll be able to use Find My iPhone.

OP
R
Reaction score
I understand your response. But consider this... The iCloud nag appears whenever I run the Mail app. I wish to avoid signing into iCloud. Is there no way to accomplish this and still use the Mail app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Can you not disable Mail in the iCloud Settings so that it's not trying to sync or whatever it does?

And I thought that iCloud access was supposed to be automatic for the user. I guess I've still got lots to learn. :p

M

MacInWin

But you have to log into iCloud for Find My Phone. So either deselect it, or go ahead and log in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know the answer for you and I'm fairly new to this iOS 7.x stuff but maybe some gurus here can help you but maybe unlikely seeing that a similar question/discussion has been going on for quite a while now and now into 27 pages... geese!!!
https://discussions.apple.com/message/26589457?tstart=0#26589457

I do know that when I got my iPad 2 back from my wife's use, several things were goofy that I couldn't fix for my use and I ended up getting it fixed with an iTunes backup, shutdowns and restarts and finally a reset and or restore to get things working as I more or less wanted, at least as well as the iOS allows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But you have to log into iCloud for Find My Phone. So either deselect it, or go ahead and log in.

I gather that once that's done, then the nagging will stop when he's opening Mail is that correct or the way it should work???

I don't have the problem, but just curious. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I gather that once that's done, then the nagging will stop when he's opening Mail is that correct or the way it should work???

I don't have the problem, but just curious. ;)

It did for me. Once you sign in to iCloud you shouldn't be asked for your Apple ID and password again unless you sign out. On my iPhone and iPad, both of my email addresses are listed: one for gmail, the other for iCloud mail.

OP
R
Reaction score
Truth be told the issue seems resolved. I don't know how or why. I tried logging in to iCloud but it didn't like my password, (which is entered via Dashlane).I then tried to reset it following the prompts but it also didn't like my responses to questions 1 & 2. (Where did your parents meet? Ans. NYC) And what was the first concert you attended, Ans. Grateful Dead). So, at my computer, (an iMac) I logged on successfully using the same password that failed from my iPhone.

At any event, the nag is GONE! Hooray!!! And this issue is resolved!!! Thanks to all for the support and responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe time to lose Dashlane. Sounds like it doesn't work properly and also messed things up for you. :D

OP
R
Reaction score
pm-r, No, no... Dashlane works just fine for me. From the iPhone I tried unsuccessfully to log in manually; and my input was totally correct. The issue was definitely not related to Dashlane.

(My prior post was incorrect. Dashlane logs me in only my my computer, not on the phone.) All logins form the phone are manually entered.

M

MacInWin

I would suggest you change the answers to the questions. You just gave them away so now just about anybody can reset your password.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Changes have been made to the password and security queries.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.