practical uses for mac mini with home theater

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking into purchasing a mac mini for some basic entertainment purposes such as music, movies, and internet. Are there any other applications for this device that would be appropriate in a home theater setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Front Row.
+1, and a lot of HD TV's now have VGA or DVI ins. I know my TV does, and i've hooked my mini up to it to watch movies through front row.

The Mini can serve as a DVD player, play music through your home theater, and any movies as well. Front row functions very well with the included remote. Of course, you'll need to figure out what you want to keep stored on the machine and whether or not that will require extra hard drive space (the base spec drives aren't huge by any means).

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
I run MythTv frontend on the Mac as I already had a Linux machine with MythTV.

It lets me stream live TV or recordings across my network. I have a dual tuner PCI card in a Shuttle PC which is the MythTV server.

It's a really cool setup, but only if you can be bothered to have a PC dedicated to being the server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.