PowerMac G5 Bluetooth Dongle issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.5GHz Quad Core
I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue but I have a PowerMac G5 that I recently purchased an apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse for. Since my computer did not have the wireless combo card (its a late 2005 2.5GHz Quad Core) I bought an ioGear Bluetooth Dongle (GBU421). It worked when I initially plugged it in but then I updated the firmware for the keyboard and mouse and I can no longer activate the Bluetooth on my computer. When I open system preferences, I can not click the Bluetooth On or Discoverable boxes and the status bar indicates that Bluetooth is off. However, it does recognize that I have Bluetooth operating in System Profiler which shows no information when the Dongle is not plugged in. I apologize if this is a software question but forgive my ignorance since I heard this could also be caused by a bad USB bus. Is it just a question of compatibility or do I need to get a new dongle or even the wireless/bluetooth combo card? If I need a new dongle can anyone recommend one that works particularly well with the G5?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac
Try unplugging the dongle and plugging it back in again.
I had a problem on my G5 PPC and a G4 eMac.
The computers would not recognise the dongle, or any other USB connected device, unless I unplugged them and plugged them back in. Really annoying at the time as I had BT and wi-fi dongles and they both needed unplugging each time the machines booted.
For reasons unknown to me, this problem went away after a couple of weeks. Now all USB connected devices are recognised on start up.

Darren

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Only USB dongle ever got to work with a Mac is the D-Link DBT-120. Think you are better off forking out for the Bluetooth/Airport combo card, runaway mounting card and stand-offs. They are dear, got mine from LA and fitted here in Australia, all up about $350.00.

If you are in the States you may be lucky enough to find a second hand combo, runaway, stand-offs and mounting screws.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.