PowerMac Dual Core 2.3GHz DVI to ADC options

TRI

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a power supply for my sick 2.0 DP (PCI-X 2) G5 and I might buy a Dual Core (2.3) G5 with 14GB RAM for $150 tomorrow. I'm using it mostly to prepare artwork to be made into prints using Photoshop.

I use a 23" Apple monitor that has an ADC connector that plugs into the ADC jack on the 2.0 DP G5, and since the Dual Core (2.3) G5 has only DVI video out, I'll be using an Apple DVI to ADC adapter that I happen to have, but have never used before.

Question: the Dual Core (2.3) G5 uses a 16-lane PCI Express video card. Is there a video card out there for that G5 that has ADC video out so I don't have to use the Apple DVI to ADC adapter?

For some reason, I reject that adapter! I really like simplicity, and that thing is the opposite. It seems like a power waster, it's cumbersome and I've read they're prone to failure.

I would love to hear either a) the Apple DVI to ADC is fine, just use it or b) the so-and-so video card works and is a simpler setup.

One thing I should mention is that I make posters from my artwork and when I get the posters back from the printer (Shortrun posters in Nashville) the colors are dead-on the same as my Apple monitor, there's zero "surprises". That's super important and I'm concerned about the DVI to ADC conversion messing with that.

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Follow up

I went to the seller's house to buy the 2.3 GHz G5 and it wouldn't start. To me it's really no surprise as the PowerMac G5's have seemed, from day 1, to be way overcomplicated and unfinished products.

So I'm back on a Quicksilver G4 and have to say that after a year on a DP 2.0 PCI-X G5 the G4 does seem a bit slower, but not by much. The G4 is a much quieter machine and gives me the impression it's much more solid than the G5. I like it way better, except that it is 1.5 GB RAM and the G5 was 8 GB RAM, but still the G4 only comes off as being only slightly slower. This is on a 100 MB Photoshop file with about 25-30 layers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not sure which Quicksilver G4 model you have. But the Geekbench 2 cpu score on the fastest dual-cpu Quicksilver G4 is about 854. The Powermac G5 Dual-core 2.3ghz has a Geekbench 2 cpu score of 2100. So the Powermac G5 should be a lot faster.

The video hardware on a Powermac G5 should also be a lot faster than the video hardware on a Powermac G4 Quicksilver.

Powermac G5's (as you probably know)…commonly sell for about $100-$150 on eBay. I've even seen them sell for as little as $21 bucks on eBay (if you get very lucky).

I would MUCH prefer a Powermac G5 over any Powermac G4 (assuming the software I needed to run would run on both computers.:)

- Nick

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
My G4 is the Quicksilver 2002 model, dual 2.0 GHz.

Yes, for sure the G5 should be drastically faster than the Quicksilver. But on Photoshop it seemed like at most 10% faster. It reminds me of of a guy who buys a Ferrari thinking he will get to work faster, but it's the traffic not the car.

I disliked the construction of the G5.

I'm thinking that I'd rather get an 8 GB RAM Mac Mini than a PowerMac G5, I see them for about $250 so maybe that's the way to go. Plus I could buy a spare and keep it in a ziplock back inside a briefcase. When you count on a tool it's usually best to have at least 2 of them, preferably 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
2002 would be a Mirror Drive Door. The maximum speed of those is dual 1.42 GHz if it's original Apple bits.

Yes, for sure the G5 should be drastically faster than the Quicksilver. But on Photoshop it seemed like at most 10% faster. It reminds me of of a guy who buys a Ferrari thinking he will get to work faster, but it's the traffic not the car.

I disliked the construction of the G5.

I'm thinking that I'd rather get an 8 GB RAM Mac Mini than a PowerMac G5, I see them for about $250 so maybe that's the way to go. Plus I could buy a spare and keep it in a ziplock back inside a briefcase. When you count on a tool it's usually best to have at least 2 of them, preferably 3.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Maybe dual 1.0ghz cpu's for a 2002 Quicksilver Powermac G4.

As "pinto79" pointed out…the fastest cpu/cpu's in a Powermac G4 was 1.42ghz.

- Nick

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Oops, mine is the dual 1.0 GHz, not 2.0 GHz like I wrote above.

It's the fastest Quicksilver they made, here's the one: Power Mac G4 (Quicksilver 2002) | Low End Mac

For sure the G5's are way faster, but my demands are pretty low. I'm sure doing any video work on G4's would be pretty frustrating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.