PowerMac 7200 and Yellow Dog Linux

S

Spade

Hi, I'm new here and I just aquired 2 PowerPC 7200's. I didn't know where else to put this thread. I was thinking I could turn these into servers and install Yellow Dog Linux on them. I was wondering if there was any way to upgrade these things, I know Sonnet has released an item called the Crescendo/7200 G3 which is so far outside of my wallet being at $150. Also, I was wondering if there was any way to hook these two up to each other and have them work together. Although I don't even know if that's possible with any computer, but then again I am new to this. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
First off, Welcome to Mac-Forums! Glad to have you aboard!

YDL works good on those old machines. you can get it here

I've never upgraded the board on mine, but I've heard good thing about Sonnet upgrades. the price seems a little steep though....

i would suggest bulking up the ram too

Also, I was wondering if there was any way to hook these two up to each other and have them work together.
Yes, there is...

First I need to know what OS you have on them right now. I would highly suggest making it dual bootable to both YDL and Mac OS 8.6.

OP
S

Spade

Thanks for the advice. Although I can't seem to figure out how to work these ftp servers. I connect to them and I want to burn YDL to a CD but 3.0 is something like 2.5 gigs. Much help would be appreciated.

OP
S

Spade

I just opened up both cases today, and neither of them have hard drives and one doesn't have a CD drive. So sometime I'm going to have to pick up new hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you can IDE drives in those

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.