Powerbook or MacBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I need a computer that doesn't necessarily need to be 100% portable, works for surfing the web, music, videos, youtube, some video editing (very very little) and being able to hold my 15K car pictures.

My budget is $1000, maybe being able to push it up a bit if its something important.

The choices are either a Powerbook or a MacBook. I like the look of the Powerbook because of the bigger screen and the bigger speakers (I ALWAYS listen to music while I'm on the computer) but it is fairly old, not as fast, and not as future-proof. I'm planning on having this laptop for a good 4 years.

I'd immediatly go for the MacBook, but to me its not the Mac to replace my desktop, its the portable second computer. Also, going from a 19" to a 13" is going to be quite the change!

So my question is, is it worth it to go for the maxed out PB even though its a couple of years older, or just stick with the MacBook and hope I get used to the screen??

Any input is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
it is definitely worth it to get a powerbook. my girlfriend just bought an ibook last week, and it's working great. it sounds like you would benefit from a powerbook a lot more than a macbook, and would probably regret getting a macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
I don't know, the MAcbook is a pretty nice machine...bt the transition may be tough for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
I was using a windows desktop and wanted a new computer. I use CSS and photoshop fairly often for websites. I bought a macbook and lent my windows desktop to a friend a while ago.

its been months and I really havent missed it/dont care. Itll be nice to get it back soon to play COD4 and stuff but I dont do those very often so I really dont mind.

Sometimes I miss having a little bit larger of a screen but, its really not that bad. I like taking my laptop everywhere to work on the go now too. I used to think that people that did that were lame. But its actually a pretty nice switch up of atmosphere and enjoyable..lol

Id recommend the macbook.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was using a windows desktop and wanted a new computer. I use CSS and photoshop fairly often for websites. I bought a macbook and lent my windows desktop to a friend a while ago.

its been months and I really havent missed it/dont care. Itll be nice to get it back soon to play COD4 and stuff but I dont do those very often so I really dont mind.

Sometimes I miss having a little bit larger of a screen but, its really not that bad. I like taking my laptop everywhere to work on the go now too. I used to think that people that did that were lame. But its actually a pretty nice switch up of atmosphere and enjoyable..lol

Id recommend the macbook.

How do you find the resolution changes? Ever wish for more space?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I cant really say much more.

Sometimes I miss it, it would be a lie to say I didn't. But I really like the mobility and such and I think it more than makes up for it.

I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Its a trade off, Im running the 2.1ghz core 2 duo and I upgraded to 4gb of ram for about 60 dollars on new egg.

I dont regret anything with this computer, I was using a 1.0ghz 1.0gb of ram powerbook before this. Its nice but I think I prefer this. Id like to get a macbook pro one day, I think I might upgrade to that next year or something when I sell this little guy, we'll see whats available.

Kinda going on a tangent, but I really like my Macbook alot. I dont think you would regret getting it if you did. Especially if you just take it somewhere for fun one day. its ridiculous portable.

Reaction score
If you want to play games then... you can buy my http://www.pittco.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3017.. $800. :].

But if you do not plan on playing games and just want to use a pc for everything except games then, why would the macbook not be a good choice? If you are worried about the screen size, you can hook it up to a monitor if you want bigger screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Andy,
When I say get a powerbook, I mean get a powerbook. Look, I just got a macbook and sure it's not the best of macbooks because of the condition it's in, but with that aside...The spacing on the keys on the macbooks are freakin' annoying to no end....This screen hurts my eyes pretty badly after being on it for longer than two hours, I miss the size of it, it just feels more durable to me...Sorry I just think the macbook is much ado about nothing. I miss my powerbook badly. Your best bet is to get a 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz and you can keep about $400 out of that $1000 budget you're on. The 17" models have had lots of problems with the display, and the 15" screen is perfect. Take it from someone who has had both, get a powerbook- they're better.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Andy,
When I say get a powerbook, I mean get a powerbook. Look, I just got a macbook and sure it's not the best of macbooks because of the condition it's in, but with that aside...The spacing on the keys on the macbooks are freakin' annoying to no end....This screen hurts my eyes pretty badly after being on it for longer than two hours, I miss the size of it, it just feels more durable to me...Sorry I just think the macbook is much ado about nothing. I miss my powerbook badly. Your best bet is to get a 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz and you can keep about $400 out of that $1000 budget you're on. The 17" models have had lots of problems with the display, and the 15" screen is perfect. Take it from someone who has had both, get a powerbook- they're better.

Ugh, just when I thought I was sold on the MacBook, a new, convincing post!! :p

Thanks for the small review. I guess the best advice is from those who have owned both in question.

Was/is there a big difference in power? Not that it really matters to me. If I can run iTunes, FireFox and iWork, I'm in fine form.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Ugh, just when I thought I was sold on the MacBook, a new, convincing post!! :p

Thanks for the small review. I guess the best advice is from those who have owned both in question.

Was/is there a big difference in power? Not that it really matters to me. If I can run iTunes, FireFox and iWork, I'm in fine form.

I used to run iTunes, 3-5 firefox apps open along with AIM Instant Messenger and everything was savvy. Andy let's put it this way. The powerbook was so ahead of its time, it even has an illuminated keyboard, just one of the MANY things I miss about my powerbook. Since you seem to like music, the powerbook has much better speakers than the err....I won't swear there....kind of speakers this macbook has. Look this might tick some people off here, but I really think Apple cheaped out when they made the MacBooks and I'm not just judging it on the one MacBook I have owned. Go to the "Apple Notebooks" section of this forum. Notice anything? Notice how almost ALL of the questions are about MacBooks? There's your answer Andy. Powerbooks were (In general) built to last. You know what I'm thinking about? I'm thinking about getting a 1.42 GHz eMac and getting a 667MHz Powerbook. Those are two computers built to last. Just...Trust me on this one dude....Get a 1.67GHz powerbook. lol

Reaction score
That is great man. Some people do not have the money to spend on the MBP. Or some people like me do not need a laptop that has a 512mb gfx card in it. I am not gaming on a laptop, and surely not on a mac. Macbook is fine for my uses of it. Maybe for what you do you need a pro, I dont. Glad I got a MB.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to run iTunes, 3-5 firefox apps open along with AIM Instant Messenger and everything was savvy. Andy let's put it this way. The powerbook was so ahead of its time, it even has an illuminated keyboard, just one of the MANY things I miss about my powerbook. Since you seem to like music, the powerbook has much better speakers than the err....I won't swear there....kind of speakers this macbook has. Look this might tick some people off here, but I really think Apple cheaped out when they made the MacBooks and I'm not just judging it on the one MacBook I have owned. Go to the "Apple Notebooks" section of this forum. Notice anything? Notice how almost ALL of the questions are about MacBooks? There's your answer Andy. Powerbooks were (In general) built to last. You know what I'm thinking about? I'm thinking about getting a 1.42 GHz eMac and getting a 667MHz Powerbook. Those are two computers built to last. Just...Trust me on this one dude....Get a 1.67GHz powerbook. lol

I agree 100% about the questions part... Since I'm considering a Powerbook I checked the Notebooks part and I found three PowerBook problems in the past 3-4 pages. Not bad!

How did/does iWork run on your PB? And how about shuffling through pictures in iPhoto (I have over 5K Ferrari and other car pics).

Thanks a TUN! Your a great help. I can't believe that I might get out with like 200 bucks extra for an external HD rather then spending more money!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never used iWork on my powerbook. Regardless of the computer you use, if you have over 5,000 pictures to upload, it's going to take a while. It didn't take too long for pictures to open/upload on the powerbook though, it just depended on the size. I figured about 200 pictures took about a minute to upload onto the screen to work on. I don't know, unless you're a meticulous person like myself, I'd get a powerbook. This glossy screen on my macbook is driving me nuts, I CANNOT touch it without having to go get cleaner to get the oil, etc off. Just start off with a powerbook. If you don't like it, you can always resell it and try a macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
If your choice really is between a PowerBook (with a 6 year old CPU architecture) and a modern Intel based machine, the PowerBook looks nicer, has a bigger (although much dimmer) screen and in some ways is probably better built. However, you're giving up a huge amount of CPU grunt, which is now starting to show.

Online HD content, photo editing, music DAPs and even general useage can all seem sluggish even on a fast G4.

The OP said this machine has to last 4 years; which means you're likely to see at least 2 OS X upgrades (10.6 and 10.7) and my bet is that neither will run on a G4 and this could mean you miss out on newer software in the future.

I say, go with a used Black MacBook, try and get a C2D and get an external monitor.

Reaction score
Go to the "Apple Notebooks" section of this forum. Notice anything? Notice how almost ALL of the questions are about MacBooks?

Notice something else: A lot of these people that bought Macbooks are new to apple/macs and don't know much about it (like me) ... so of course there's gonna be a lot of questions.

Doesn't mean it's bad machines.

Yes the speakers are crap. Doesn't bother me as i use headphones most of the time. As for the rest, the screen is small, but I got the Mini DVI to DVI adapter and plugged in my 19" LCD as a second monitor for when i'm home. I run Photoshop and work on 60-80 MB images and can still itunes, safari, mail without any noticeable slowdowns.

Reaction score
If your choice really is between a PowerBook (with a 6 year old CPU architecture) and a modern Intel based machine, the PowerBook looks nicer, has a bigger (although much dimmer) screen and in some ways is probably better built. However, you're giving up a huge amount of CPU grunt, which is now starting to show.

Online HD content, photo editing, music DAPs and even general useage can all seem sluggish even on a fast G4.

The OP said this machine has to last 4 years; which means you're likely to see at least 2 OS X upgrades (10.6 and 10.7) and my bet is that neither will run on a G4 and this could mean you miss out on newer software in the future.

I say, go with a used Black MacBook, try and get a C2D and get an external monitor.

Totally agree.

I have a 4 year old 1.5ghz 12" Powerbook and, although still a nice machine, is starting to show it's age performance wise. Compared to my 1 year old iMac it is sluggish in the extreme.

You raise a good point regarding future updates. I have installed Leopard and, although the Powerbook runs it adequately, it was quicker with Tiger installed. I won't be bothering putting any future OS on it for this reason (If, like you say, it will be even possible).

Performance wise any Macbook will eat any Powerbook for breakfast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G
Performance wise any Macbook will eat any Powerbook for breakfast.

Frightening imagery!

Kidding aside, I'd say go for something more current than the PowerBook. I agree with the other posters here -- if you're looking for a machine that will last you a good 4 years, it seems wisest to stick to a newer Intel machine, especially since future OS releases will likely be impossible to install on non-Intel Macs. As unfortunate as this is, the PowerBook seems to have hit max capacity as far as software upgrades go.

As far as adjusting to the smaller screen size, my opinion may be a bit biased because I've spent the past few years on a 12" Windows machine, but I'd say it'll probably just take a little getting used to. And there's nothing wrong with using a larger monitor at home if you like.

You could also buy a fairly nice set of external speakers to use at home without burning too much of a hole in your pocket...just an idea :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my macbook speakers sound better than my friends hp. I have external speakers but I rarely bother with them.

Reaction score
The keyboard on the MacBook is different but you WILL get use to it. It took me 3 days to get use to it and now I LOVE IT!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
No offense jag, but after the issues you had with your new MB it'd be hard to believe you weren't completely turned off on them altogether. I'm not saying you're doing this, but it would be hard not to let the bitterness of the experience seep into your judgment of the device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.