power supply failed need advice

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes I did see those photos. Hopefully the new logic board will do the trick. I hope it doesn't cost too much.:)

As far as the hard drive. The bracket should be fairly easy to find. As far as the HD sensor...you may want to consider this:

OWC HDD Compatibility for all Apple 2011 iMac 21.5"... in stock at OWC

If I remember correctly. The orignal hard drive that shipped with 2011 iMac's had special Apple ROM programmed into the hard drive's electronics. So ONLY a hard drive from Apple will work properly (otherwise the computers fans will go crazy).

This is why just any old SATA 3.5" hard drive cannot be used. The product from OWC linked above solves this problem.:)

- Nick

ill just deal with the fan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ill just deal with the fan

Good luck!;)

There are three fans...and fan control apps do not work. I had exactly the same iMac you have (mid-2011 27" iMac) and I had a BIG hard drive issue with it (that was actually rather easily solved later with a new SATA cable).

Everytime I put a non-Apple HD in it...the fans would go crazy. I tried just about every solution on the internet...and none of them completely solved the fan problem. It might have worked for one or two of the fans...but then the 3rd one still ran too fast & loud.

This was probably 1.5 years ago that I did this. So maybe there's a newer & better solutions out there. But if there isn't...you're just going to experience the same headaches I did. And then end up either sourcing an original Apple HD for 2011 iMac's...or buying the OWC cable solution!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for that info Nick.

I have the same iMac, so I'll keep that bit of info in case I need it later on when a HDD replacement is needed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for that info Nick.

I have the same iMac, so I'll keep that bit of info in case I need it later on when a HDD replacement is needed.

You are very welcome.:)

Apple really made things complicated when it came to hard drive replacements with 2009-2011 iMac's (various reasons & solutions). Then I think around 2012 Apple just made it super difficult to even open an iMac.

As far as 2011 iMac's. It's great that OWC came up with a solution. Another solution (which I did)...was purchasing a used original Apple 2011 iMac hard drive via eBay. So that it would have the specific Apple ROM on it to keep the fans from going crazy.

Fortunately or unfortunately...I later found out that the mid-2011 27" iMac I had just needed a new SATA cable! Boy could I have saved myself a lot of frustration, headaches, and stress if I had known that from the beginning.

I should also mention. When I purchased this computer (used)...it was covered with a Best Buy warranty. The Best Buy folks replaced the HD 2x (they thought the HD was bad). They never figured out that it was the SATA cable...and they had absolutely no clue about the special Apple ROM on the HD.

I think that they were supposed to have some sort of Apple certifications too. Ohh well!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think that they were supposed to have some sort of Apple certifications too. Ohh well!

Ahhh yes, Geeks On Wheels I think they were called in our area, and I can guarantee they were certified all right - certified and very qualified to almost wreck any Mac they touched!!! But that was several years ago so maybe things have changed. ;)

OP
L
Reaction score
ok i went ahead and ordered the cable and the bracket for the hdd and the new logicboard came in today, i got the cpu and video card switched over and pluged it up and put in some ram and boom i got the chime so far so good, then i hooked up the screen, plugged in the power and hit the button, i got the chime but the screen stays black,

is the video card or the backlight board bad?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you sure all cables to the Backlights in the LCD and the Inverter and Video cable are secure and plugged in correctly?

If so it could either be the Backlights in Display but usually there are two and one should work at least, or the Inverter board that powers the Backlights.

All my iMacs from the G5 iSight to the latest 2008 have a backlight CCFL tube at the top of the display and at the bottom. Two sets of Wires going to the inverter board.

my 2008 Imac I got used had the top of the screen dark. Got a new Inverter for under $10 on Ebay for that machine and it came alive.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok so I have a adapter and it seems the video card is fried, so with that said here's the good and the bad so far

Good:
Screen
New logicboard
4gigs of ram
Owc cable for the hdd
Bracket for the hdd

Bad:
Ribbon cable for the screen
Video card
No front glass
No keyboard
No mouse

With all that how much should I price this at? I think I will sell it and use the money towards another iMac and use my work discount

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.