Power Supply Buzzing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"13 MacBook Air 2012; OS X Sierra 10.12.4
Hey.

A while ago I had to replace my Macbook Air power cord, a 45W MagSafe 2, and have noticed that it constantly heats up and yesterday an obnoxious buzzing noise begun to invade my earbuds which is specifically only there when my laptop is plugged in.

This worries me, it sounds dangerous and when I asked my IT stepfather about it he simply wants me to try having it plugged in less.
I'm thinking he might be in denial that it needs replacing which I don't blame him, apparently this sucker cost him $60 bucks. Though I don't believe he's quite so Mac savvy as he is PC savvy. *sigh*.

Is this as serious a problem as it seems? Could this result in damage to my laptop?
NOTE: It's been unplugged for possibly 10-15 minutes now and the heat has vanished.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you replace the MagSafe Adapter power cord with a genuine Apple one or some other brand? We do not recommend cheap replacements or knock off replacements as they are poorly made and could cause damage to your MacBook Air.

OP
HalfDemon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not able to answer that as I did not place the order, my stepfather did but I am able to tell you that it's engraved with the Apple logo.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Many knock off MagSafe Adapters have the Apple Logo on them but that does not necessarily mean they're genuine. If the adapter is getting hot and buzzing then it's either defective or a knock off.

OP
HalfDemon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright then I suppose it could be a knock-off.
Can this be damaging to my laptop?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, as I said in my first reply. Also there could be a fire danger if the adapter shorts out.

OP
HalfDemon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's unsettling to hear.
I can't lose this laptop and it would be inconvenient to be rendered unable to use it. I spent a week without it waiting for this thing, the power chord, to arrive in the mail. All that is important to me is on here. Luckily I've got a blank flash disk though.
*sigh*

Thank you for all the information you've provided.

C

chas_m

power chord = awesome and usually guitar-based sound

power cord = what you plug an appliance into.

If you can read the incredibly microscopic writing they put on these adapters these days, what is the wattage printed on it? Also, easy way to tell if its a genuine Apple charger -- did he buy it from the Apple Store or big-name national reseller? Did it come in Apple packaging?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I dare say, there still a number of "genuine" but goofy Apple Power Supplies and cables still available from some legitimate sellers, even after Apple's various recall and replacement programs.

Just saying, and Apple isn't the only company that makes good power supplies either, in fact some brands are even better made.

OP
HalfDemon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
power chord = awesome and usually guitar-based sound

power cord = what you plug an appliance into.

If you can read the incredibly microscopic writing they put on these adapters these days, what is the wattage printed on it? Also, easy way to tell if its a genuine Apple charger -- did he buy it from the Apple Store or big-name national reseller? Did it come in Apple packaging?

It's a 45W.
I have no knowledge of where it was purchased but can tell you it did not come in Apple packaging.

In addition I have an update to report: The cord has stopped charging my battery but is still powering the laptop. The buzzing is also still present.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Are you saying the light is green as in the battery is fully charged? This would be normal.

Or are you saying the charging light isn't on at all, but the notebook still functions? If so, are you certain it is not running off battery power?

It's really hard to say what's going on, but I see a different charger in the very near future for you.

OP
HalfDemon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No the battery was not fully charged, the light was off yet the lightning symbol remained and what power the battery did contain was not used.
A few hours ago, 10:45pm-ish PST, when I moved from the living room to my bedroom the cord begun to charge the battery again and still is currently but it's extremely slow. I'm basically it's taking me about two minutes to gain 1%.
So yeah, agreed, thing's busted.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can't say for sure whether this is a genuine Apple power supply or not but at this point I don't really trust it. Time for a replacement.

C

chas_m

My wife's MacBook Air doesn't have a MagSafe 2 charger, so I can't compare the legitimacy of the one you show in the pictures. I'd definitely take this one, legitimate or not, to an Apple store and have them check it out.

OP
HalfDemon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd momentarily intended to do just that but there has been a plot twist.
Over at the Apple Support forums those photographs did allow for a confident ID of it as being genuine but that aside the very person who made the identification provided me with a link to an official Apple troubleshooting article which brought my attention to an expieriment.

I switched out the AC cord on my original adaptor which the one causing the buzzing had been bought to replace with the buzzing replacement's AC plug and problem solved. The battery is charging normally and there is no no longer any buzzing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd agree with chas_m, and FWIW, some of the earlier "legit" Apple chargers were made by Liteon Technologies as one photo shows, and some companies still supply them, but at a fraction of the price Apple charges.

But there's a good chance from other's experiences that Apple may just exchange and provide you with a proper replacement if you're lucky enough to have an Apple Store reasonably close by.

OP
HalfDemon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is an Apple store in our local mall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd momentarily intended to do just that but there has been a plot twist.
Over at the Apple Support forums those photographs did allow for a confident ID of it as being genuine but that aside the very person who made the identification provided me with a link to an official Apple troubleshooting article which brought my attention to an expieriment.

I switched out the AC cord on my original adaptor which the one causing the buzzing had been bought to replace with the buzzing replacement's AC plug and problem solved. The battery is charging normally and there is no no longer any buzzing.

Hmmm…??? I assume you mean you switched the whole cable AND with the duck head adapter.

It would be interesting if you have a continuity meter to test and see if there's continuity on the ground pin that the Apple ones had, even though it didn't seem to connect to anything inside if one looks at the take-apart shots, but you can still check and see if it connects to anything, including the "T" attachment pin I gather yours will have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is an Apple store in our local mall.

Lucky you!!! ;)

Not the case here!! We need to take a ferry ride and get to one of their stores on the BC mainland. And then come back. Very time consuming and costly!! :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.