Power cord...

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else's power cord (the little white box unit part of the power cord) gets hot? Mine is definitely WAY WARM

Thanks..

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
oh, yeah. The middle/box part can get really hot. I did actually find that the part that plugged into the MB wasn't connecting properly and it was "arcing" there. The apple store replaced the cord. That end of the cord was actually looking corroded/scorched. If you do a search on here for "heat" and "hot" you'll find you're not the only one with questions about heat.

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured it was normal, but definitely going to keep an eye on it.

Reaction score
keep an eye on it just in case, but mine definitely gets pretty warm too. Don't think its anything too serious to worry about as long as it doesn't get crazy hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD
My unit got really hot last night after I ran the battery update. It's back to being a little bit warm now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Mine has been plugged for hours and it just stays warm. This has always been the case. Perhaps you need to check if there is a good grip at the sockets and it is not loose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Mine was so warm that the shrink wrap plastic began to bubble. It is normal though.

Reaction score
If I have my Macbook charging, sometimes I hear a noise coming from the white box part of the adapter. Also the tips of the prongs seem to be scorched for some reason. Is this normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Mine was so warm that the shrink wrap plastic began to bubble. It is normal though.

Umm.. you should really remove the shrink wrap. It's not meant to be in place while you're using the power supply.

For what it's worth, every Apple power supply I've ever owned gets warm. The only one that doesn't is an aftermarket power unit from another manufacturer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.