Potential hack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
Over the past few days, the attached has appeared a couple of times on a blank Safari page with no source URL displayed.

I assume it is phony (or worse) so I have not touched it.

I got the attached image by Command-Shift-4.

Then I closed (Quit) Safari and cleared History.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 1.37.30 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That is a report from Safari that a password you have used for the specified account has appeared in some leak at some time. If you have not changed the password in a while, it COULD be compromised. All you need to do is to go to the specified account and change the password. It's not a hack, I get it all the time for old passwords that have been leaked by various site failures. In my case, the message appears as I am going to the site whose password is compromised. I suspect that is when it happens for you, rather than randomly.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I agree with Jake. I've had this quite a few times over the last year or two. As Jake said, the message was simply reminding me that my Password of "X" had been leaked/exposed during an attack/breach on another site, most likely one you had never even known existed.

So do as Jake advised. For the moment, you are not at immediate risk, but could be in the future.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
That is a report from Safari that a password you have used for the specified account has appeared in some leak at some time. If you have not changed the password in a while, it COULD be compromised. All you need to do is to go to the specified account and change the password. It's not a hack, I get it all the time for old passwords that have been leaked by various site failures. In my case, the message appears as I am going to the site whose password is compromised. I suspect that is when it happens for you, rather than randomly.
"All you need to do is ..."
Done.
Thank you both for being here!
I mean that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.