Post count display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I think you mean post count happy. I have a lot of posts, and I think its good in some ways for new members to know how much experience if you will, or game time a member whose trying to help has so that the newer or new member knows that the person giving a post is knowledgable and knows what theyre talking about.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Maybe, I should have used the example, like weak - strong, boneless - steel muscles. Or iWhat - Macman.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Garrett said:
EDIT Admin, does this mean that no Avatar for the first 100 posts still remain in effect?

As far as I know there is no such rule but I will check

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWhat said:
Maybe, I should have used the example, like weak - strong, boneless - steel muscles. Or iWhat - Macman.
I dont mean anything, well, I mean, its almost like credibility, but I suppose its up to the poster who should search the forums first for answers before posting and will see what others have posted and use those posts as an example or knowledgeability. ;)

G

Garrett

trpnmonkey41 said:
As far as I know there is no such rule but I will check

Yeah, when I signed up for my account, it said I may choose my avatar, but it won't appear on the forums until my post count reaches 100. I don't mind waiting, but it might be in the interests of the forum and the admin, for consistency if they abolished it, or changed it to a time frame, ex 1 month. :)

--Garrett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Yeah, garrett we will see what we can do about the avatar, just because you can't see your post count doesn't mean we (mods, memberators, admins) can't. It is still counted on the board.

As for post count being a reference for how long someone has been here, or how knowledgeable they are is a poor source. Considering you can look and see the date they joined, and I know a couple members with over 1000 posts who still have not figured out how to make use outa english. (*cough rman*... hehe jp :) )

Yeah.. muso good idea ;) :D ..

E

Eleven

Well more posts don't make you smarter, there are some very experienced people who might come here and from post one know better than most members with 2, 3 or 4000 posts.

More posts don't mean you know better, it just means you're talkative.

Do you think Christina Aguillera has anything over Nina Simone?

Well she doesn't, she's just all over the place.

You Mac people should understand that better than anybody else,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
"YOU PEOPLE"? the heII is that suppose to mean!?

;) jk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have to agree. Post count is meaningless. It's a vain expression of how active you are and in the end has no merit. The number of posts you have doesn't give you credibility, the strength of your help or response is what brings you credibility. Whether you have 2, 5, or 8000 posts you can give great answers and that's what people will recognize.

As for telling when someone's new, check out the Member Since date. If it's a this month, then you can be pretty sure they're new ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Eleven said:
Well more posts don't make you smarter, there are some very experienced people who might come here and from post one know better than most members with 2, 3 or 4000 posts.…

You are so right…I will always take quality over quantity. The person with a post count of "1" may (and has) give a better response than someone with several thousands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The post count display delete is not the best idea at all, I used it to gauge what my reply should be in too many threads. I don't like it at all

G

Garrett

The post count display delete is not the best idea at all, I used it to gauge what my reply should be in too many threads. I don't like it at all

I'm confused, you addressed others, and presented yourself based on post count and not on what the other party had to say......interesting.....not sure I agree, but its a new way to do things I guess. :)

--Garrett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Of course I based my reply on what I read, but the post count helped a lot Edit: example, I just posted to a question from kabwon, but to see if he has other threads or posts or anything I now have to search his user name instead of a quick glance at the post count that is now gone :radioacti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
+1 !!!

i always thought that something was missing. i think post count definately depends on the board that you are on. while i dont look at every forum on this board i havent noticed many/or even any PW's. a website like vwvortex.com should have post count removed...because you will get flamed for pages in about one minute if you ask a dumb question and you have less than 1,000 posts. Meanwhile, over on vwenthusiast.com post count means nothing at all...****, we even know eachother by first name

anyhoo...i think at a place like this being able to see a post count is not a bad thing

-chris

B

Buzz_Novia

I'm quite new to this forum, and even though it's quite refreshing not to be daunted by longer serving members' post counts, it just doesn't look right not knowing how others have contributed.

Perhaps the admins to could disable the post count feature only for newbies like meself, and then once we've established a decent enough count we could then have this feature re-enabled.

I'm a member of a few forums - about three others, and even though I've often wondered why (how) newbies can create humongous post counts within a short space of time, you do get an impression from the post count what sort of a member you might have to deal with.

It's also quite possible that when someone is new they might only be posting for personal reasons like attracting hits on their web sites rather than just wanting to be helpful.

Err, p.s., I may attatch my web site details at a later date when I've felt that I've been helpful, err, that's if I can rember my post counts. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buzz_Novia said:
I'm quite new to this forum, and even though it's quite refreshing not to be daunted by longer serving members' post counts, it just doesn't look right not knowing how others have contributed.

Perhaps the admins to could disable the post count feature only for newbies like meself, and then once we've established a decent enough count we could then have this feature re-enabled.

I'm a member of a few forums - about three others, and even though I've often wondered why (how) newbies can create humongous post counts within a short space of time, you do get an impression from the post count what sort of a member you might have to deal with.

It's also quite possible that when someone is new they might only be posting for personal reasons like attracting hits on their web sites rather than just wanting to be helpful.

Err, p.s., I may attatch my web site details at a later date when I've felt that I've been helpful, err, that's if I can rember my post counts. :eek:

I agree, I was once a newbie, joined october 30, 2004, since then, I have over 2100 posts, and I know they were helpful, not just posting my own sites or anything.
I even have a 'fan club'(not really), but I have a few threads thanking me, though its not just me, its all the regulars that make the forum work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I really don't understand what the big deal is. I use the forum to help and to get help. Responders shoud have a "I may be able to help you" attitude and not a "look at me" attitude. What does it matter if anyone knows how many post you've made. I've seen several responses to post that don't amount to a hill of beans, which really gives the appearance of just putting in thier 2¢ worth…all that does is inflate the count.

Hey, it would be fine with me if they didn't display the member ID, which would eliminate any "horn blowing".

So, I commend the admins…they made the right move…counts don't mean anything (unless thay are used for bragging rights and then they really don't mean anything.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Post counts have vastly more use than bragging rights. Why do they exist? And in all other forums?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
Post counts have vastly more use than bragging rights. Why do they exist? And in all other forums?

"What are the vastly more uses"?

I like this forum, I don't compare it to other forums. So, if other forums count post and display them "maybe" they have a reason, then again maybe not. Maybe they are followers and not leaders.

When I ask for help I never even consider the post count of the responder. So, to me there is no value. The "meat" of the response gets my praise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.