Possibly Taking My iMac Back

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Anyone familiar with Acdsee ? That's what I am after, it is complex only if you let it, but it lets me do what I need to do, however there is no Mac version. my goal is/was to switch wholey to Mac which for the most part has gone on without a hitch.

Then I hit this big roadblock that I am not quite happy with. I have yet to find a solution other than waiting for my Leopard upgrade and run windows on this system. I hate doing that but I also want to play some games that are not available on the Mac platform.

Did you ever look at CocoViewX (link posted previously)? It's a lot like ACDSee.

Also, if you are a seriously into photography, I would definitely take a close look at Aperture.

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24" - 2.8ghz - 2 Gig Ram - 500 Gig HD
Did you ever look at CocoViewX (link posted previously)? It's a lot like ACDSee.

Also, if you are a seriously into photography, I would definitely take a close look at Aperture.

Yes I did. It's a vast improvement over iPhoto, however it is still lacking. You can open a folder on the left and view all the files on the left, however you have to click on a file to view it on the right. That's fine and dandy, however the issue is this..

You CAN'T click a folder on the left and have all the files show up on the right. That is what I am after. So, I can drag and drop the files into new folders and organize them. Some might say use finder - ok - but that too is not the best option.

So far, Adobe Light Room seems to be my answer. I can pull up all the folders on the left, click on one and have all the files show up on the right. Then, when I click on a file and drag/move it to a new folder on the left - it does what it's told. It does not make a copy, it actually moves the file. This is what I am after.

I am not after a program that makes 10 different copies of the same file. I am tring to clean up - not make a bigger mess :)

For now, I am going to hold off copying any files over until leopard comes out and I install it. I am going to do a fresh install just because and the less data I have to backup/worry about - the better!

Maybe Apple/Adobe or ACDsee will come out with an app that does what it needs to? Who knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I really don't get why some of you new OS X users pooh on iPhoto. It allows you to organize your photos by custom folders and now automatically helps out by importing to event folders based on date and time. You can actually do basic photo manipulation and resize for other purposes such as web use. All the above happens without affecting the original imported photo. That is called non-destructive editing, a good thing in my book. Oh, you can even tell iPhoto to use a different application for editing.

I have just over 4000 photos in iPhoto and think it is snappy enough. It would be at least double if I had a 35mm scanner. I'm not a Photoshop user and think for most things I do, web, email and video editing, iPhoto is fine for me right now. Eventually I'll look into Aperture or the Adobe alternative if I feel I need more fine tuning abilities.

Anyway I suspect you may want to look at Image Capture in the Applications folder to import your images from your camera, thereby skipping the use of iPhoto altogether. If you don't want to use the tool, then I don't think you want it organizing your folder structure for the photos either.

Also, it looks like Leopard will make things easier as far as viewing whole folders of photos, so that will appease some of you who insist on using the Finder. I don't get it, but if it works for you than great.

I agree that for advanced users, there are better tools, but I see enough non advanced users fighting the system and making life harder for them selfs. I suggest that those people at least try to learn the new tools before they poop on the different or new way of doing things on their new Mac.

I hope that didn't sound rude. I just dislike when people give up so easily and fall back to their old ways.

Well that is my 2 cents.

I used iphoto 5 and it was god awful, I got iphoto 6 and it's not as bad. I strictly use iphoto to organize and frankly, it sucks and doing that.

It isn't just new osx users that don't like iphoto. I haven't used the newest version so it might be better. The problem is, I don't plan on upgrading until the day I buy a new mac.

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24" - 2.8ghz - 2 Gig Ram - 500 Gig HD
iPhoto would be a lot better if it did not try to create a database all no its own. It would be much more intuitive if it used your current "file structure" and "real files". Not copies. That's the problem I have. When I go to organize, I want real folders called "Cats", "Dogs", "Christmas Vacation" on my drive. I don't want VIRTUAL folders in which I have to open a program to see what is in each folder. Seems kinda backwards if you ask me? All this hard work and the files are still a mess on the drive? No thanks.

I guess many people really don't grasp that concept. Or maybe I am wanting too much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
iPhoto would be a lot better if it did not try to create a database all no its own. It would be much more intuitive if it used your current "file structure" and "real files". Not copies. That's the problem I have. When I go to organize, I want real folders called "Cats", "Dogs", "Christmas Vacation" on my drive. I don't want VIRTUAL folders in which I have to open a program to see what is in each folder. Seems kinda backwards if you ask me? All this hard work and the files are still a mess on the drive? No thanks.

I guess many people really don't grasp that concept. Or maybe I am wanting too much?

I feel the exact same way.

Reaction score

Yeah I really hate that part. It should just be able to see and organize your current photos not need to make copies and rename them. I expected it to be more like Elements. It just seems kind of clunky to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
To the OP - looks like most of your questions have been answered, so I'll just add one more thing.

In OS X, generally you'll find the applications organize the data, and you should 'allow' them to do so. When I 1st moved to Mac (only 12 months ago) I absolutely felt I HAD to organize my folders via Finder (as I was used to Explorer so much in WinXP).

As soon as you give in to iTunes, iPhoto etc, your life will be a lot easier.

In iPhoto, you can export resized images very quickly and easily (and incidentally XP cannot do this without 3rd party software). Just highlight all the photos you want to export (remember you can select multiple items by holding the Apple key, as opposed to the Ctrl key in Windows), goto file ->export

V easy.

Good luck with your Mac, I hope you keep it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I grasp that concept just fine. I originally thought like you did and worked that way. In the end the advantages of iPhoto (and tools like it) won me over. I found it easier to keep things organized in iPhoto and it is quick to find things. It got easy with iPhoto 08 because of Events. The database you are railing against gives further advantages that I can appreciate and take advantage of.

You can create your "Dogs" & "Cats" folders within iPhoto and if on that Christmas vacation you took some dog and cat pictures you can share those pictures with your "Dogs" & "Cats" folders without duplicating the image file. I suppose you could use an Finder alias or Unix link to do the same thing at that low level your attached to.

And what is the "real files" and "copies" stuff you are spewing. iPhoto uses the real files and does not alter them. When you make an edit, that is when a copy is made. The new more advanced tools such as Aperture do not make copies, they keep track of scripts that are applied to what looks like a copy to the user in the interface. Oh, iPhoto does make thumnail copies to allow for faster navigation.

It came down to trusting iPhoto. There is nothing I do that requires me to fiddle with the low level folder structures, so why waste my time with that. Been there, done that, for several years.

If you find a good solution for your purpose, please share it with the group. Clearly there are people looking for a better way to work at that level.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just for the record I love and use iPhoto for all my Digital Pics that I take. I have since I first started using OSX.

I just try to help others who do not like iPhoto do it there way if possible. I do use Xee for some pics I grab off the net and also Finder set up the way I described in an earlier post. I figured out that View Thumbnails very early on in my OSX life just clicking on Show View options.

I agree that if people give iPhoto time it might grow on them also. I find it a very quick way to organize all my pics in one place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
I alos didnt liek iphoto. I was fine with it first. But then i was just playing around and editing a picture and there was no option to undo it. You cant revert the picture to its original.

I just downloaded JustLooking yesterday, its almost exactly like file and fax viewer :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just edited twice and did an Undo twice. Check the pics.

undo1.jpg

Attachments

• undo2.jpg
    undo2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You cant revert the picture to its original.
Right click the image and chose "Revert to Original" from the pop up list.
OR
Select the image and choose "Revert to Original" under the Photo menu.

P.S. I'm using iPhoto 08, but I know the above option has been available for a while before that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right click the image and chose "Revert to Original" from the pop up list.
OR
Select the image and choose "Revert to Original" under the Photo menu.

P.S. I'm using iPhoto 08, but I know the above option has been available for a while before that.

It's in 06 for sure as that is what I have at the moment. So that gives 3 ways to go back.

Reaction score
Patience is a virtue...I’m switching next week and one of the main reasons is for the photos and video. I do use Photoshop elements & Premier elements so I’ll probably keep using them until I’m comfortable with iPhoto and if it doesn’t do what I need it to do I’ll stick with the Adobe stuff….

It’s a bummer to read your post though...I was hoping iPhoto would be really super cool and it still may be we’ll see...but I have come to the conclusion that a Mac is a better overall system...And I also realize that it’s gonna be a big change with a learning curve that will be up to me to straighten out...I hate learning new software so I'm gonna try and remain calm and learn it as quickly as I can...

As for the responses...Personally I think overall people want to be helpful...not just here but in general...

Check out some of the responses I got to my very first thread (Switching To The Dark Side: Some PC Concerns)...I got blasted because I made a Star Wars reference...That first response was my Welcome To Mac Forums...LOL...

I actually didn’t know it was a Star Wars reference until those responses were posted and I Googled it...

No big deal...as I said I think most people what to help...and there are some that just can’t help themselves...

This place is cool...and 99% of the folks that I've communicated with genuinely want to help...I’m learning a lot…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mrchef1,

I think you are right that people want to be helpful. I also think the original poster got a lot of help. Some of the answers were very direct how-tos and others were constructive criticism.

[RANT ON]

Here is the thing...

Some people need a tap on the back of the head before they post.

The original poster made two false statements in points 1 & 2. He, I'll assume for this post, should have asked questions in those places. He is ignorant about iPhoto and passing that lack of knowledge on in bogus statements. Point 4 also has a questionable statement. That is a bad start when you come for help. It isn't until we read points 3 & 4 that we get clued in to what he is really looking for. He clearly stated it in his second post I believe. Lastly I think his post has a bit of an attitude. Perhaps that is just frustration, but that isn't how I interpreted it.

The post perhaps would have had more direct results if it was worded like so;
Subject: Managing Photos
"I prefer to manage the folder structure for my photos. Can iPhoto allow me to work that way? If not, does anyone know of other options? Lastly, is there a way in Finder to view the photos as grouped thumbnails?"

Zero attitude and to the point. Also no false statements.

In a secondary post he could have asked how to resize and delete photos in iPhoto.

Finally my point. If people do not want broad answers, then they need to do a few basic things when posting questions.
1. Be careful about the subject line. Try to make it descriptive.​
2. Construct the question carefully to give enough information to describe the problem fully and accurately.​
3. Get to the point quickly. No stories thanks.​
4. When they don't know a product, they should turn uninformed statements into questions.​
5. Keep your opinion to your self. Especially when you are new to the subject at hand.​
6. Keep attitude away. Re-read your post before you post to try keep people from reading more into it.​
[RANT OFF]

Reaction score
There is so much protocol for posting a question on this site. It's hard to ask a question when you have be a 100% sure that the same question or similar question has never been asked, and you have to word your questions so as not offend anyones delicate sensibilities. It's like the forum is run by a bunch of soup Nazi's . I'm sure i'll get points off or whatever for this comment. But I can't imagine the amount of new mac users leave after making a few comments and then realize this board is like Lord of the Flies.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is so much protocol for posting a question on this site. It's hard to ask a question when you have be a 100% sure that the same question or similar question has never been asked, and you have to word your questions so as not offend anyones delicate sensibilities. It's like the forum is run by a bunch of soup Nazi's . I'm sure i'll get points off or whatever for this comment. But I can't imagine the amount of new mac users leave after making a few comments and then realize this board is like Lord of the Flies.

I think you might have misinterpreted the atmosphere here. Yes, it is fairly strictly moderated, but that is only to keep it "family friendly" (we have a lot of kids here, you might notice) and free of bickering. A lot of forums allow threads to spiral out of control wildly, but you won't find that here as much.

I think most of the long-timers here are fairly thick-skinned and patient. I have been through hundreds of threads that are poorly-written and almost impossible to discern, only to see that dozens of people have done their darnedest to try to help the person. It's very rare that noobs are flamed, and that is strictly forbidden - particularly in the Switcher subforum.

I think if you stick with it, you'll find that this is a very friendly forum. We do have a few bad seeds now and then, but in general, it's a great bunch. I've been a member since before I made the switch and I can't think of a single instance where I couldn't get friendly, fast help when I needed it - given that my posts were well-articulated and descriptive.

The analogy I like to use is this - you wouldn't call your mechanic and say "My piece of crap car is broken, what's wrong with it?" - imagine the response you'd get. You're more likely to say (for example) "I have a 2001 Toyota and it's making noises when I start it up in the morning. Usually by the time it's warmed up, they go away, but it starts off with loud, rhythmic clacking noises for the first 20 minutes.". With that, the mechanic knows: 1) What kind of car you have, 2) the specific symptoms of the problem, 3) The frequency of the problem, 4) The time the problem occurs. In other words, enough information to make an informed guess to diagnose the problem without having to actually see it.

Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the key; Anyone asking a question is looking for an answer. That seems obvious doesn't it. Some people might not like this next line, but here I go. A person asking a question should think in a constructive selfish way. That way is to think; How can I most efficiently get my answer and move on.

A first great step is to do a basic search for the answer. I can't tell you how many times I see repetitive questions. Occasionally on the same day only a couple of threads apart. Several times rather than give an answer in a repeated question, I've linked to one or more other threads that give the answer.

If you do a search it shows initiative, but more importantly you may find your answer and get on with your real work or pleasure, and therefore won't have to wait hours or possibly days for an answer. Lastly by reviewing some similar issues, you learn the problem space which can help you post a better question which in turn helps your self by helping the people who answer the question give better answers or counter questions.

Remember that when asking a question you are asking for someone elses valuable tme. I have spent hours on some answers. I can only do that if I understand the question. Also, I'll only do that if I have a self interest in the problem space. One time I had an iChat conversation with a guy to help him out.

It is not just this site that has protocols for asking questions. Most do. I've been around since the BBS days and the general protocol is to be considerate of others.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xstep, Very well said. Everything I wanted to say but sometimes is hard to put into words. I have spent hours also trying to figure out some one problem.

Glad to find another who knows what a BBS is. I was a Sysop for years before the Internet took over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.