Portable drive needed compatible with Yosemite 10.10.5

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Everything I read at the time led me to believe the warranty was not valid because it hadn't been registered within 90 days.

That was declared invalid many years ago when the consumer laws were changed here in the US. You need not register a product in order to validate a warranty. Like Patrick stated, proof of purchase and the date of purchase is all that's required. However, extended warranties are a horse of a different color. For example: Applecare or Applecare Plus.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This was some time ago so it could easily have been before that change was finalized. Since then I've made it a point to now what the warranty says and make sure I know exactly what to do. That incident surprised me because prior to that time I had owned two different LaCie products. The CD burner that had been rock steady. A different LaCe hard drive had been replaced twice under warranty with no argument/ discussion on their end.

The network drive that failed occurred several years later and during a time where they seemed to be getting complaints about inconsistent tech support. It's entirely possible that the problem I ran into was a one-off instance of incorrect information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Dear AJB2020, I hope you got your LaCie worked out. Erasing an external HD is the accepted method of changing its format. HFS+ is the filing system used by Mac Operating Systems prior to APFS adopted in macOS High Sierra. So formatting as Macintosh Extended Journalled will make it HFS+

Another thing to be aware of when formatting a drive Is to select the actual drive, NOT the volume name, and use the Partition Function to at least create a single large partition In case the manufacturer has included some small partitions they make invisible with some stupid software that may not even work with a Mac.

Some flash drives are bad for doing that as well.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Slydude

FWIW, LaCie had a terrible reputation for many years ago, at least in this area, for not covering their warranty and using what appeared to be using any cheap assembly mechanism they could grab off-the-shelf. Many years before that, they had a reputation for some excellent products but also hugely overpriced.

I refused to buy any of their products just out of principle but did end up with an external optical drive I purchased Used for an excellent
price. It's still buried somewhere and I can't recall whether I was USB or even maybe a Mac Serial drive unit. Yup, that old...!!!

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
FWIW, LaCie had a terrible reputation for many years ago, at least in this area, for not covering their warranty and using what appeared to be using any cheap assembly mechanism they could grab off-the-shelf. Many years before that, they had a reputation for some excellent products but also hugely overpriced.
That mirrors my experience with them exactly. As I mentioned the CD drive was indestructible. The stand-alone hard drive had to be replaced once or twice but this was under warranty and I had no complaints/issues getting them to honor the warranty. Not so with the network storage device.

I think they had been bought out n the meantime and were essentially a subsidiary of someone else. By the time I read the warranty information on their site I was so frustrated after numerous attempts to work through the suggestions on their site I didn't even bother to call about a replacement. By that point, my blood pressure was high enough that spending time waiting for support just wasn't worth it.

Reaction score
I have a close family friend who is 85 years old with an Operating System that matches his age, ie Snow Leopard:) OK, a slight exaggeration.

I supply him with the External Hard Drives he needs for Time Machine and other backups. These Drives are all brand new and work absolutely fine. Most have been Seagate or Western Digital, but at least one was, until recently, LaCie.

Like Jake, I don't understand the problem exactly.

Ian
I have the same problem and the seagate I looked at said right on the box that it is only compatible with ios 10.12. I have a 10.10.5.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That's just Seagate bragging that their device is compatible with the latest macOS 12.1 (Monterey). People wanting to buy a new External Hard Drive (EHD) want to be sure it will work with the latest Mac Computers and Operating Systems.
There is no reason it should not be backwards compatible with any Mac or macOS, just make sure it has a USB 3 connector the new macs use USB - C.
Once you plug it in go straight to Disk Utility and you should see it in the sidebar, select its Name eg Samsung HDD 500Gb and click on the Erase Tab on the top line of the window.
Name it (whatever you like) Format it to Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and, if it asks, choose GUID mapping.
Now it should be on your desktop as the name you selected, any proprietary software removed and available for whatever process you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the same problem and the seagate I looked at said right on the box that it is only compatible with ios 10.12. I have a 10.10.5.

I have never heard or read of such a problem with any macOS versions providing the drive was formatted correctly and appropriately.

Maybe some other members who use Seagate drives could elaborate on Seagate's lack of support or a possible reason for their statement.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Seagate is referring to their built in security software. Just reformat the drive and it will wipe out the useless but troublesome software they include. Then the drive can be used with your version of macOS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.