Popularity?

JRV

Reaction score
why don't more people use mac's? they seem much easier to use and supply a solid OS?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I think Windows is all people ever know, so they never bother to look beyond. And I'm sure that they are many that think all the problems that are on Windows, must be on the mac. Prove it, well, just look at everyone that comes here and says what's the best virus app for mac, or how do I defrag the hard drive, or what program do I use to get rid of spyware. You would think that this is why switchers switch in the first place, guess not, but many Windows users seem to overlook the pluses of having a mac.

K

Kokopelli

Herd instinct. When you get a mass of people moving in a common direction it takes significant social force to change the direction of the whole.

S

StarDrifter

Also the price - or "bang for your buck"

PCs are much cheaper and can assemble parts yourself cheaply.

Macs are twice the amount, and not everyone has a lot of cash to splash around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Mac is still living down a legacy of overpriced and underpowered computers from the mid to late 90s. It lost a lot of momentum during that time.

Most people still think of Macs as 'easy to use' computers for people who don't want to mess with computers much. Problem with that is that most people want to mess with their computers.

The Irony is that Mac is now capable of giving the best of both worlds - you can really get down and dirty with command line on a Mac running OS X. Mac comes with Perl, Python, gcc and host of other programming languages and powerful unix command line utilities as well as all the standard C and unix libraries. Want to learn C? Pick up Kernigan and Ritchie's 'C' book and you can go to town on a Mac straight out of the box. To get that on a PC, you have to download a lot, and pray a lot, and figure out a lot of non-standard PC garbage. Or get Linux, but then you don't have the easy to use part for when you really don't want to get down and dirty. By comparison to Windows, OS X will attract people at the bottom and top of the technically savvy chain - the most technical and the least technical.

It really is quite ironic.

-Lonerider

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.