• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PoliSci Research Paper Topic Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Hey all,

I've got a research paper due for my empirical politics class due in two weeks but I'm having a really hard time coming up with a topic and I was hoping for some suggestions.

Basically, the topic is actually a hypothesis that we will be able to test with data already on my college's server. The data comes from General Social Surveys, so they're pretty typical questions.

Some examples:
- People with high incomes get better educations than people with low incomes.
- The higher the number of males in a state, the less females there are in the Senate for that state.
- The older a person is, the more likely it is they will oppose the legalization of maurijuana.

Like I said, they're just hypothesises - I don't know whether they are true or not, although I could test them. Still, they don't really interest me all that much.

So, if any of you have any questions similar to the above (that at least somewhat involve politics) please suggest them. If there's anything you're curious about, just let me know. I'd love to hear from you. I need to have my topic nailed down soon, but I'm really having trouble.

Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sounds interesting.

everything i thought of off the top of my head for a topic could probably be seen as offensive to someone though, so i better not share. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I don't know if it would be interesting to you:
The comparison between a young woman who never married vs. a single mother with children.
Who would be more likely interested in voting on all elections (not just presidential).

More young women may vote for a woman president than more older women. Or, vice versa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
How about testing how third-party representatives vote on issues. Like whether they're more liberal or conservative in their decisions on votes. (Third party basically meaning any party that isn't democrat or republican.)

OP
WasabiTaylor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Great ideas everybody!

Keep them coming!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.