PLS Help: Can't "detect" HP Z38c monitor on iMac

Reaction score
Deal Gurus,

Could you please help? When we purchased the HP Z38C monitor for dual use with our iMac, we were told by the manufacturer that the correct connection wire would be included to connect a 2017 iMac using MacOS 10.15.4 to the HP z38c. We have tried each configuration possible without the settings being able to detect the monitor.

Could anyone please advise which wire to use?

Thanks very much in advance!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Assuming you bought this monitor new, the box should've included all the cables. The monitor supports USB-C, Displayport and HDMI.

The 2017 iMac has 2 USB-C, 4 USB type-A connectors. If the monitor came with a USB-C to USB-C cable, that'd be the cable you'd use to connect the monitor to the iMac.

You can also go USB-C to DisplayPort or USB-C to HDMI, its possible they came with the monitor. If not, you'll need those adapters. But I'd recommend the USB-C to USB-C cable.

OP
F
Reaction score
Razoredge, thanks very much for the rapid response! I have the USB-C to USB-C cable connected. What could I be doing incorrectly that does not allow the monitor to be detected by the iMac?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ensure that the monitor has it's own power cable attached. Disconnect the USB-C cable from the iMac. Turn the monitor on and it should turn on and indicate no signal and perhaps go into power save mode. Open up System Preferences->Displays and plug the USB-C cable to the iMac and take note of any flickers on the iMac and any transitions on the monitor. Also note on the Displays panel if a tab called Arrangement appears or not.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ensure that the monitor has it's own power cable attached. Disconnect the USB-C cable from the iMac. Turn the monitor on and it should turn on and indicate no signal and perhaps go into power save mode. Open up System Preferences->Displays and plug the USB-C cable to the iMac and take note of any flickers on the iMac and any transitions on the monitor. Also note on the Displays panel if a tab called Arrangement appears or not.

I believe I followed your instructions correctly.

There were no flickers on the iMac and no transitions on the monitor.

The Arrangement tab has not yet appeared either.

I also tried holding down the OPTIONS key to make the DETECT DISPLAYS button appear, but when clicked, nothing happens.

I am very grateful for your continued patience!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The user manual, page 9 says this:
NOTE: To set the video input source to USB-C, press the Menu button on the front of the monitor, select Input Control, and then select USB-C Configuration.
● Select the option 3840 × 1600 @ 60 Hz + USB 2.0 for a higher vertical refresh rate and a lower USB speed.
Or
● Select the option 3840 × 1600 @ 30 Hz + USB 3.0 for a lower vertical refresh rate and a higher USB
Have you done that?

EDIT: I found the manual here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05672999

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have another machine (or a friends machine) that has a USB-C connector to confirm that both the monitor and the cable are OK. It's just a matter of isolating things now. I know when I wanted to connect my 2009 iMac to an external display using the miniDB->DVI cable, I had to do a lot of research to find the right cable since a lot of people complained about connection/sleep issues with a lot of cables.

OP
F
Reaction score
The user manual, page 9 says this:
Have you done that?

EDIT: I found the manual here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05672999

I did. I have tried it on both options. Thanks for responding!

- - - Updated - - -

If you have another machine (or a friends machine) that has a USB-C connector to confirm that both the monitor and the cable are OK. It's just a matter of isolating things now. I know when I wanted to connect my 2009 iMac to an external display using the miniDB->DVI cable, I had to do a lot of research to find the right cable since a lot of people complained about connection/sleep issues with a lot of cables.

I'll try to hook it to my Mac laptop. Thanks again!

OP
F
Reaction score

Unfortunately, neither of our Mac laptops have a USB-C port. Argh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.