Please Please Help :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hello all,

I am here at the Hotel/Condos Owned by The Company I work for.

Their Wired Network is down in the building I am in. But the Wireless is still good.

Where is the problem u Say??!

Well here is the deal, The SSID is not Broadcasted. I have to type it. No problem there. But the trick is The Wireless Network is WEP Encrypted.

I have the Key.. SOunds good so far.

The worst part is there is this one extra setting... Key Index Number.

On my Windows Laptop I get the option to Put in the Key Index Number (totally different than the WEP KEY) which happens to be the number 2.

But I don't know how to do that on my New MacBook. PLEASE HELP.

So just to recap the info I have is as follows:

SSID: <---- I have that.
WEP Key: <---- Got that too
Network Auth: Open
Encryption: WEP
Key Index Number: 2

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Most routers I have worked with have a Key Index with 4 choices allowing for different keys and you can select which one to use. I would just put in the SSID and WEP key and it should work unless this is something new that I have never seen.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey D.

I tried that. But No luck :(

It is very specific about Key = 2 and nothing else

Is there a way to be able to change the default on the MacBook side to match what the router wants?!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How long is the key? Is the key HEX? How many digits?

Be sure of your settings in OSX.

OSX WEP.jpg

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I know those settings.

Actually the funny thing is, I was able setup the Network and I entered the WEP Key, which is in the following format abcd_12341234

On the airport Icon I can see that I am connected to the network, but I still can't access the web and I can bet money on it that its probably because of that darn bloody Key Index Number crap :(

I really need it to work

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I know those settings.

Actually the funny thing is, I was able setup the Network and I entered the WEP Key, which is in the following format abcd_12341234

On the airport Icon I can see that I am connected to the network, but I still can't access the web and I can bet money on it that its probably because of that darn bloody Key Index Number crap :(

I really need it to work

I have never seen that Key Index in OSX but never had problems hooking to a system using that. Something is wrong somewhere. Sometimes they say to put a $ in front of the key. Again how many digits is the key? 26?

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am guessing its an ASCII Key format.

So it 13 charachters just like the example above but different letters and number but same exact length/format, underscore included

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try setting the WEP in OSX to WEP 40/128Bit ASCII. That setting is very important or it will not work.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey d,

I tried that as well but to no avail :(

Oh well, they are gonna fix the network in my room so we'll see at least I ca go online Wired.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I can tell you is there is no setting like that in OSX and it's used in every router I have ever worked with to select one of 4 keys. Hope the Wired gets fixed for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.