Please help

Reaction score
I have linked (via airport) my macbook pro to my Imac. It was working alright but have some issues that the MB will not link up and is asking me the "WEP" security password inorder to reconnectbut I am not sure what this is and where to find it...is this a security number I need to find on my Imac since it is the "network" host machine? Please Help!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
tiehen,

WEP is a network security method which prevents your computer from being "seen" by any outsiders trying to access your machine via cracking your network. You would normally get the key when you set up your router. Did your ISP or an IT department set up your router? If so, they should be able to provide the key. If you set up your router yourself, you would have had the software set up a key for you and you would have access to it from the router software. It is either an 11 or 25 characters which you use when you connect to your network.

Here's an article on WEP that should help you: http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/r1005/36r05/36r05.asp&guid=

Noel

OP
T
Reaction score
No router

Well maybe thats why I am confused. I used to have a lynsys router here but I have removed all that wireless equipment and was just connecting the macbook to the imac via airport without an external wireless router. It has worked, I remember when I setup the MB it told be to input a 6-8 digit number it needed in order to connect to my Imac host. I inputted this number and "bingo" the MB and imac were seeing each other. Not sure if this was a true WEP number or not but of course, i did not write it down like I should have. So, now when the MB asks me for a WEP # i am bit confused? is gotta be somewhere in the IMac shouldn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
tiehen,

That's probably the number it's looking for... You could check the iMac's Keychain Access to see if it's in there. Go to Applications>utilities>Keychain Access.app

You could even check your Macbook's Keychain Access...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.