Please help! macbook pro 2007 freezes by login screen

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro 15 inch (2,2, 2007, OS X Lion, last version, 3GBram) starts up but coming to the login screen, all strange colors appear and the screen freezes. Unfortunately my DVD drive also broke some time ago, so I can not run apple hardware test from the install DVD. When I start in safe mode, it's possible to log in, but there are some strange stripes next to the mouse pointer. Does anyone know if this is a hardware or software related problem? How can I rescue my data in safe mode? thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your model MacBook Pro was known to have problems with the graphics processor (GPU) and was actually the subject of an Apple recall and repair for free past the original warranty. However, that has long expired. I can't say for sure what the problem is with your MBP, but since it's a 2007 model and is now 7 years old, I would think it may be time to consider purchasing a new MacBook Pro or one that's newer than yours.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply chscag. I'm pretty sure its hardware/GPU related. To bad I didn't know about the extended warranty, i'm usually up to date with this information. Say its the GPU, anyone know's what it could cost to repair? Needs a whole new motherboard? I have a newer iMac, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro, but such a machine is perfect for the kids. ps first problem I have with any of my apple products since 2005.

C

chas_m

Buy a similar used one. Repairing the motherboard is most definitely not worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
From experience the logic board has definitely failed. If you buy a used board from a broken down MBP it could well develop the same fault, and don't trust anyone who says they can reflow the board. If it's successful it won't last.

Reaction score
yea the reason this happens is because the micro fuses on the board cannot handle the gpu voltage and they fail basically roasting the gpu and killing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the MBP 2.2 was released in October 2006, now eight years ago so not worth the expenditure.

Reaction score
yep i sold one for 50.00 for parts and a new board is 800.00 from ifixit no thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.