Please Help - External Drive issues - Will Pay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP (Retina, 15-inch Mid 2015) 16GB Memory 500GB HD. iPhone XR.
Might try booting the Seagate drive on another Mac to see if you get different results. Maybe a friend or family member

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New to the site.
I came here to hopefully get my newest issue resolved. I will gladly pay someone 80$ if they help me to resolve what's going on. Hopefully that doesn't go against policy.
I will do my best to explain and include pictures.

Soo, I couple days ago my 1TB seagate external drive started giving me issues. Which it never did before.
basically the drive is extremely slow taking a couple minutes for finder to even open the drive and files, barely navigable.
I use this drive for my time machine that used to automatically update, also using it to store large files.
Being a dumba** I never partitioned the drive meaning the backup folder is in the same main location as my other files. (see picture)

I could care less at this point about the backup files as my computer is working fine ATM. What I really care about is all the other files that contain a ton of old memories.
Upon trying to in the least copy the files over to another 2TB drive I thought I had to purchase. It will not allow me to do so, I keep getting "error code -8058" which has something to do with the permissions. I have looked into this and delete the plist with little prevail and led to another error.

It seems that I can only read and not written (see pictures)
As soon as I plug in the drive. Mac notifies me that macOS can not repair disk. (see pictures)

I've managed to recover around 30 gigs but I truly need all of it.

What I've tried:
-byte by byte backup using Disk Drill (Gets to around 30 gigs and then goes extremely slow. Says will take 100+ hours)
-Disk utility repair. First Aid. Did not work.
-Disk drill data recovery methods. Same thing.
-Other data recovery software all doing the same that I've tried.
-Took it to a local computer store that essentially did the same thing I did as it was just some college kid trying to copy and paste using other data recovery software.
Ended up charging me 80$.

Please help.

Greatly appreciate it.!!
I promise whoever can help me find a resolution to this. I will pay them 80$
A really good solution is SpinRite by GRC.com -- at the moment Version 6 only runs on a PC, but version 6.1 will run on a Mac and will be much faster and will be a free upgrade for those owning version 6. I have personally used it to recover data from a disk that showed over 256,000 uncorrectable disk errors (although it was not sure about 4 bits on the drive). I have recovered all the data from other drives, and even purchased a PC just to use SpinRite. It turns off the error correction on the drive and reads many times to try very hard to figure out each bit, and then rewires that data perfectly and proceeds. The current version can take days for a good size drive. Do not try to send money; go to grc.com instead.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Disk Warrior hasn't been updated for some time now, it won't run under Catalina or Big Sur, or run over APFS disks. I still use it, installed on an external HD running High Sierra 10.13.6, I find it will boot on Macs up to 2017. Even if it does not offer to rebuild, if it offers a preview you be able to copy off the data you require. If it halts copying files, miss out whatever it failed on and restart copying. Good luck.

Thanks for your updated info on Diskwarrior Steve.

I guess it has almost come to the end of its useful life for those following the Apple upgrade path. Otherwise still a very useful Application.

BTW: My 2011 iMac's 1TB Seagate HDD spinner died a few weks ago and a Mac fixit guru is installing a SSD along with a hard drive fan for me as my serious arthritic/gout laden and swollen hands can't even hold a screwdriver properly nowadays.

Funny, but he still goes by his old company name — Sledgehammer Solutions. Not exactly of the name I would of used, but there is a long story to the name and he is an excellent experienced Mac guru and fix-it guy.

Patrick
===========

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New to the site.
I came here to hopefully get my newest issue resolved. I will gladly pay someone 80$ if they help me to resolve what's going on. Hopefully that doesn't go against policy.
I will do my best to explain and include pictures.

Soo, I couple days ago my 1TB seagate external drive started giving me issues. Which it never did before.
basically the drive is extremely slow taking a couple minutes for finder to even open the drive and files, barely navigable.
I use this drive for my time machine that used to automatically update, also using it to store large files.
Being a dumba** I never partitioned the drive meaning the backup folder is in the same main location as my other files. (see picture)

I could care less at this point about the backup files as my computer is working fine ATM. What I really care about is all the other files that contain a ton of old memories.
Upon trying to in the least copy the files over to another 2TB drive I thought I had to purchase. It will not allow me to do so, I keep getting "error code -8058" which has something to do with the permissions. I have looked into this and delete the plist with little prevail and led to another error.

It seems that I can only read and not written (see pictures)
As soon as I plug in the drive. Mac notifies me that macOS can not repair disk. (see pictures)

I've managed to recover around 30 gigs but I truly need all of it.

What I've tried:
-byte by byte backup using Disk Drill (Gets to around 30 gigs and then goes extremely slow. Says will take 100+ hours)
-Disk utility repair. First Aid. Did not work.
-Disk drill data recovery methods. Same thing.
-Other data recovery software all doing the same that I've tried.
-Took it to a local computer store that essentially did the same thing I did as it was just some college kid trying to copy and paste using other data recovery software.
Ended up charging me 80$.

Please help.

Greatly appreciate it.!!
I promise whoever can help me find a resolution to this. I will pay them 80$
Best option: get SpinRite 6 from grc.com - this is a superb utility to recover data from drives. Among other things it reads data from the drive and if there are problems it reads again with error correction turned off (many times if needed) to reconstruct the data bit by bit. Once it has determined every bit in a sector it rewrites that sector and checks the result. It has fully recovered multiple hard drives for me that deemed unrecoverable by every other utility I tried. The worst drive had over 256,000 unrecoverable disk errors - SpinRite recovered everything except 4 bits that were undetermined. If you buy version 6 now you will get an upgrade to version 6.1 for free, which will run on Macintosh and will be much faster. The bad news is that version 6 only works on a PC or a virtual PC. I actually bought a PC just to run SpinRite. Don't give me the $80; use it to buy SpinRite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.