Played with MacBook today @ CompUSA, volume seems VERY low

Reaction score
I played with the MacBooks today at CompUSA, and the volume seems VERY low. Where are the speakers located on the MacBook? I checked the volume control, and it was maxed out.

Is this a common complaint about the MacBook? I tested (3) MacBooks and (2) MacBook Pros.

My wifes laptop is a Compaq R3000Z, and the speakers are JBL Pro. They sound great, and are very loud (we usually have the volume 1/2 way).

So far this is one of my major complaints, next to no expandable slot.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
macbook speakers are pretty quiet, they are located in the back on the sides and reflect off of the lcd/lcd frame.

if you need louder sound, you will need headphones, or an external speaker set.

i've got these and they sound great...

though i did just try them hooked to the top of the macbook, and they are just a touch heavy to have the macbook screen tilted back too much. normally i use them on a desk anyway, but i thought i'd give the lcd mount a try. the nice thing about these is that they have fantastic sound for their size, and are usb powered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
The sound is a bit low. At home I have some externals hooked up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Yes, the external sound is a bit on the low side, especially on the MacBook. The MacBook pros have their speakers mounted in the grills next to the keyboard, where the MacBooks have their speakers mounted in the little exhaust port line beneath the screen on the back/bottom of the computer. I think this gives the MacBook pro a slight advantage, though it wouldn't surprise me if the speakers were the same...the only difference being placement.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
Yes, the external sound is a bit on the low side, especially on the MacBook. The MacBook pros have their speakers mounted in the grills next to the keyboard, where the MacBooks have their speakers mounted in the little exhaust port line beneath the screen on the back/bottom of the computer. I think this gives the MacBook pro a slight advantage, though it wouldn't surprise me if the speakers were the same...the only difference being placement.

Yea, i notice only a slight increase in volume on the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
I don't think Apple had speaker quality in mind when they built any of their computers. I think they're there for simple task, chat, scanning music and news stories and such, and rightly so. I have headphones, a home stereo and an ipod. I didn't expect apple to build me a stereo along with my macbook just because I paid $1500. And I don't expect my tv to produce cinema quality sound from it's speakers either.

Anyway, hope that didn't sound to snotty!:headphone

T

todd51

I usually don't mind it. Whenever my MBP is sitting on my desk, I have it hooked up to my 5.1 surround sound. Usually when I have it with me on my lap or somewhere like the school library, I almost ALWAYS have headphones on.

In the near future, I will be getting an iPod Nano, and I will use that to listen to music if I want to conserve battery life on my MBP. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
i am sure they are, remeber the person who sued Apple cause they hurt their ears with an ipod cause the volume could go so hi.

i do find many laptops speakers arent too loud, but just enough to do, using itunes and music it is loud, but playing DVD's is quiter.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. This wont hold me back from buying a MacBook. I would use headphones most of the time.

Reaction score
A lot of notebooks may have subpar sound, both pc and Mac. An external pair can do amazing things to the sound of your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Thanks, everyone, for answering my question about whether the MB or MBP has better speakers without my having to ask!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
actually, since the 10.4.9 upgrade, macbook speakers seem to have gotten much louder. i'd guess that the mbp still has better speakers, but that's like saying a toyota corolla is a better car than a ford focus. it may be true, but you're still not dealing with high performance machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Who uses their laptop speakers for anything other than desktop sounds!? If you listen to music, you should buy some speakers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
They're not the loudest for sure, but me and the lady have been able to watch a few films/shows without any issues about the sound. In a noisier area I'd just go for earphones, perhaps it seemed worse as it was in the store with all the background noise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I'll go with pretty much everyone else and admit that the MacBook speakers are perhaps not the best - however I personally find them adequate for what I want.

I've watched a couple of movies - tinkered with Garage Band and I usually have iTunes running - my only real gripe is that the bass is pretty much non-existent. This is not something that bothers me until I use my PC with it's Altec Lansing externals - with a dirty great sub - this is when I realise what I'm missing from the MacBook.

As for the expansion slot (or lack of) at one point this would have been a problem for me - but with the MacBook you find so much hardware as standard - I don't really need much else - and what I do need or want - can be connected through USB (or firewire - although I've never owned a piece of hardware that used the firewire connection)

edit:

... i'd guess that the mbp still has better speakers, but that's like saying a toyota corolla is a better car than a ford focus. it may be true, but you're still not dealing with high performance machines.

:) I like your analogy there.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
why, thank you. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.