Planning to Sell New iPhone 6. Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forums. I am due for an upgrade with Verizon. I notice iPhone 6 is going for quite a lot on eBay. I'm perfectly happy with my white iPhone 4; I don't do much with new apps, etc. I just need it for messaging, mail and sending myself voice memos, and phone calls of course.

I thought of buying the new iPhone 6 from Verizon at my upgrade price, 2 to 300. dollars, for example the 64GB iPhone 6, and selling it on eBay, new and in box.

Can you share any thoughts on this? Thanks for any response.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't need an opinion from us. If you want to sell it, then go ahead and sell it.

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would have to pay premium for a 6. They are readily available right now in the stores. The 6+ is hard to get but if you order one by the time you get it they would be readily available too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I thought of buying the new iPhone 6 from Verizon at my upgrade price, 2 to 300. dollars, for example the 64GB iPhone 6, and selling it on eBay, new and in box.

Can you share any thoughts on this? Thanks for any response.

What "thoughts" do you need? All you're talking about doing is "flipping" the phone…just like other folks on eBay are doing. This is no different then selling any sort of cell phone (new or used)…except your goal is to make a quick profit.

Now if your REAL question is…if you do this will you go to **** when you die. Well…you'll just have to wait & see!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now if your REAL question is…if you do this will you go to **** when you die. Well…you'll just have to wait & see!

ROFL! Nick, you may have missed your calling.... :Cool:

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
Hi there, and thank you for the responses. Just a quick note, I have no ethical conflict about this idea at all. That was an odd interpretation of my question, and not in any way indicated by the content. Verizon has stated it's fine with them, and no one is required to bid on an iPhone 6; it appears they find it quite valuable.

What I imagined, actually, was something like this:

-That's fine if you like your iphone 4, but you won't find it supported in the App store for much longer.

0r:

-Are you crazy!? The iphone 6 is such a wondrous machine, you'll love it more than the 600. dollars you're going to net and apply to your other needs and aspirations in life!

or something along these lines. I'm sorry if this wasn't clear, I really did hope to get some input on what another two years with an iPhone 4 might mean, from experienced users like yourselves. If there are any liabilities, for example. Please remember, not everyone lives at home and breathes Apple products and OS all day. Some of us really could use a little guidance, and in fact, that is what brings us to your little forum.

When you say Pigoo3. missed his calling, did you mean as a comedian? I wish him luck in that endeavor, and don't mean to be discouraging, but I can't say I agree. I found that comment to be rather cheap personal gratification, not particularly clever, and since he's an actual mod here, pretty short of the mark of anything resembling helpful.

That's a beautiful picture of his dog in a fresh snowstorm however, and as a fellow and devout animal lover, I wish him and his dog the best of luck in life. I really just hoped for some guidance on my plan to keep my iphone 4.

Thanks so much for all who posted sincerely. Appreciate it!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I think the boat on making almost double the retail price on iPhones on eBay has sailed since you the shipping date for the iPhones it back to within 2 weeks from the time you order.

Additionally, a lot of retailers for the major carriers have the 16GB version at least available in stock for anytime pick up.

So what you are talking about is the following, the 64 GB phone goes for $749 at full unlocked price. You would get this as part of your upgrade from Verizon for something less, you are ignoring the fact that this is a locked phone that you will be subsidizing the payments for through the 2 year contract. And a locked phone is hardly going to get you retail price..

If you were to purchase this through a T-Mobile or Apple directly, you're paying retail and not getting much more than that on eBay, so I'm not sure where the money making play here is..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just a quick note, I have no ethical conflict about this idea at all. That was an odd interpretation of my question, and not in any way indicated by the content.

Actually it is very very unusual for someone to be asking the question that you did at the beginning of this thread…unless the main goal was to make a profit selling it on eBay (flipping it).

If you are happy with your iPhone 4...don't want an iPhone 6…and fully intend on continuing to use your iPhone 4...why are you even asking this question about purchasing an iPhone 6 then selling it on eBay?? The ONLY possible reason would be to make a profit selling it…plain & simple!

When this thread was started (September 29, 2014)…folks on eBay were paying up to $1200-$1300 for a new iPhone 6/iPhone 6+. There's another thread on Mac-Forums that I responded to…where I actually linked a couple eBay auctions with these selling prices in competed eBay auctions.

So if someone who is happy with their iPhone 4…is talking about purchasing an iPhone 6 (soon after it was released & is a VERY VERY hot item)…then selling it on eBay. There can only be one goal…and that is to make a big profit flipping it.

As I said earlier. What other possible goal could you have than making a profit…if you are happy with your iPhone 4. Why even purchase an iPhone 6 in the first place…then selling it on eBay…if you would end up selling it for the exact same price you paid??? Doesn't make any sense.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.