• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Place Falls Apart When I am Gone for a While!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Things have been crazy busy at both work and home and I haven't been able to spend much time at Mac Forums of late. So imagine my surprise when I logged in today and discovered that the User Reputation System seems to have been turned off in my absence. Is this the case? What happened to it? I did a Search, but didn't see any obvious threads on this. Sheesh, leave for a bit and the place falls apart! :dive:

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MHC, I just found it myself, under the innocuous guise of a FAQ.

I am unhappy with this decision, and not just because I enjoyed the line of green dots (which I did!). MF is a community, and this decision was made without the input of that community. I have been fond of saying WE are Mac Forums. Apparently we are not. The mods are.

I register my protest. Ban me if you will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.

I am unhappy with this decision, and not just because I enjoyed the line of green dots (which I did!). MF is a community, and this decision was made without the input of that community. I have been fond of saying WE are Mac Forums. Apparently we are not. The mods are.

Actually, looks to me like it's been re-enabled...

I see green bars again, and the middle button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Yep, rep's back! Wow, mac57, you really pull weight around here. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Actually while this is a community, it's the mod's responsibility to enforce our rules and maintain the atmosphere that we've chosen to establish. In this case, the rep system was causing a degradation of the atmosphere.

This site is not a democracy, it's a private service. While the community is important, the staff has always had the right to make changes that we feel will enhance the community.

You are free to register your protest and it will be considered, but you are also free to start your own forum if you feel you have a better approach.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting comment schweb and thanks for the feedback. Is MF in fact a business and you and the other mods are employees of the business? I had always niavely thought that MF was run by some anonymous business entity that made money through ads, and that somehow, very senior and respected members were in some mysterious way "elected" to be mods. I am guessing this is not the case.

Hence my question. How does one become a mod at MF? Is this the result of being an employee of the business, or is there another mechanism?

Not a democracy? Another cherished ideal battered and broken! Sigh...

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Actually, looks to me like it's been re-enabled...

I see green bars again, and the middle button.

Yep, rep's back! Wow, mac57, you really pull weight around here. lol

Wow, don't know my own strength!! [opens another can of spinach!] :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Things have been crazy busy at both work and home and I haven't been able to spend much time at Mac Forums of late. So imagine my surprise when I logged in today and discovered that the User Reputation System seems to have been turned off in my absence. Is this the case? What happened to it? I did a Search, but didn't see any obvious threads on this. Sheesh, leave for a bit and the place falls apart! :dive:

Welcome back, you were missed.

M

MacHeadCase

Whooh! Next time you post something, mac57, I'll take a bow/salaam, oh Mighty One! I am in awe. :eek:

And yes I second KoDor's comment: you were indeed sorely missed, man.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Somehow I missed all of the drama - and I was here the whole time. Although I must admit, I was less timid about expressing my opinions in the absence of the rep system - particularly when I knew they would be unpopular.

Welcome back mac57!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IIs MF in fact a business and you and the other mods are employees of the business?
Yes, Mac-Forums is a business, well owned by a business. The mods are not employees, we are volunteers, we do not get paid.

I had always niavely thought that MF was run by some anonymous business entity that made money through ads, and that somehow, very senior and respected members were in some mysterious way "elected" to be mods. I am guessing this is not the case.

MF is owned by iNet Interactive who obviously make money from the ads (or else they wouldn't be here ;)).

As for mods, some of us have been here since MF started, before it was owned by iNet, others came after. New mods are chosen by the current moderating staff whenever we feel the need to add to our ranks.

Not a democracy? Another cherished ideal battered and broken! Sigh...

While we're not a democracy, we do take our members feedback very seriously. You just have to understand that there are 13,000+ members each with their own ideas of what would be right to do. Hence, you can't be upset if things don't always turn out the way you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
My motto: I just keep a friendly smile on my face and stay out of things. ;)

I have yet to see anything that greatly offended me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
My motto: I just keep a friendly smile on my face and stay out of things. ;)

I have yet to see anything that greatly offended me.

good motto.. the motto I use with my boss at work is "smile and nod"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
INot a democracy? Another cherished ideal battered and broken! Sigh...

I should also add that you're making an awfully big assumption that we didn't consult the community. While we may not have opened up a forum-wide discussion, that doesn't mean we didn't get feedback from select members. ;)

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks schweb, good input. I appreciate the response.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.