Pinned Safari web sites

Reaction score
These have suddenly disappeared. Does anybody know how to restore them using Time Machine? There is a lot of stuff in ~/Library/Safari but I don't know what does what.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm really sorry you've suffered this fate.

It's happened to me twice over the years.

I can only tell you that I "solved" it by shutting down the iMac. Leaving it in that state for 15 minutes or so then rebooting the iMac.

I cannot guarantee that will work for you; but no harm in trying.

NB Shutting down first. Not just rebooting.

Ian

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give it a try. I've managed to restore a couple but not all.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
No joy. The few I already re-pinned showed up but not the rest. I still need to know where that info is stored.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Sorry I couldn't help:sd

Ian

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I posted on the Apple Community Forums. Maybe somebody there will have an idea. I saw one post that referred to a TopSites.plist in ~/Library/Safari, but there isn't a .plist for pinned sites. At least I couldn't find one.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW, I found the TopSites.plist exactly as you posted. I did not touch it as I don't know what that implies; but it is there.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I posted on the Apple Community Forums. Maybe somebody there will have an idea.

A Google search provided some hits for various suggestions but I have no idea if they would work besides I don't even use Safari and I doubt if I would use pinned sites as it seems to have been a problem area for many for several years now.

However, try this guy:

Hopefully one of the suggestions works for you.

- Patrick
=======

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
A Google search provided some hits for various suggestions but I have no idea if they would work besides I don't even use Safari and I doubt if I would use pinned sites as it seems to have been a problem area for many for several years now.

However, try this guy:

Hopefully one of the suggestions works for you.

- Patrick
=======

Didn't help. He does suggest pinning frequently used sites, which I do, but not how to recover them if lost. Somebody, I think on another forum, suggested creating a Note of all your pins in case they are lost. I've done that. On the plus side, I won't be adding the ones that were there that I no longer use!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.