Photos

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Right. It's clear to me - I think - what the situation is. Nothing has changed with the Operating Systems.

Provided Allison turned OFF iCloud Photos on ALL her iDevices, as I suggested and still do, then "My Photo Stream" appears as an option in Photos app > Preferences > iCloud. Just as Bob showed.

When Allison posted her view of Photos > Preferences > iCloud - post#15, it must have been because she had not yet turned OFF iCloud Photos on her iPhone and iPad.

That makes perfect sense because having iCloud Photos turned On on the iPhone or iPad completely negates the need to have "My Photo Stream" as an option in the Photos app. They would be in competition as it were.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm using Big Sur > Photos Version 6.0 (321.0.110). But I don't use iCloud Photos. That's why I still have the Photo Stream option.
Ah, good thinking. I use iCloud Photos, so the Photostream is embedded.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), Apple Watch: IPad Mini 3: Iphone 12 Pro
OK I have read all these messages and read through the links. I turned off ICloud photos option on both my iPad and iPhone and My Photo Stream is set to On for both as well. I am still not seeing the Photo Stream option. Am I supposed to turn off the Icloud photos option on my MacBook as well?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Am I supposed to turn off the Icloud photos option on my MacBook as well?

No. Only on your iPhone and iPad. You really need to have "iCloud Photos" ON on your Mac.

If you don't have the My Photo Stream option showing on your Mac, I can't explain why; but the basic principles remain.

With "My Photo Stream" On on your Mac, all your iPhone pics would automatically appear in your Photos app on the Mac. In its absence, it just means that you import them yourself to Photos pay via USB cable directly.

I explained above these two options. Either way, you end up with what you set out to achieve.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), Apple Watch: IPad Mini 3: Iphone 12 Pro
Thank you very much Ian I really appreciate you taking the time to explain these options. I hope you all have a wonderful Happy New Year!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@ian, I think that if you have iCloud Photos on on the Mac, the option for Photostream is NOT there. It's redundant, as iCloud syncs all photos.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jake

This is from my iMac:

Screenshot 2020-12-27 at 4.57.59 pm?.png

A very nice thought and I greatly respect that. And I greatly appreciate your obvious interest.

But, Turning On iCloud Photos on the iDevices makes My Photo Stream redundant because if you can access all your pics on these Devices, AND you have iCloud Photos On on the Mac - then you can see all your pics everywhere via iCloud Photos.

But turn Off iCloud Photos on all iDevices; and Turn On My Photo Stream on these iDevices - then My Photo Stream becomes an option on the Mac, as above.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.