Photos while on vacation

Reaction score
Hey There

I bring my digital camera and Macbook Air on vacation. I'm wondering what the best way for me to upload photos I take on vacation into my iCloud Account. I typically work from the Photos App on my desktop at home. It would be cool if while in Italy, I could upload the photos I take from my camera to the cloud under stay the album "Italy" and when I get home that will be ready and waiting for me. One part backup one part save me the trouble of doing the work twice?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I bring my digital camera and Macbook Air on vacation. I'm wondering what the best way for me to upload photos I take on vacation into my iCloud Account. I typically work from the Photos App on my desktop at home. It would be cool if while in Italy, I could upload the photos I take from my camera to the cloud under stay the album "Italy" and when I get home that will be ready and waiting for me. One part backup one part save me the trouble of doing the work twice?

Hi Jayne....... - just a couple of questions: 1) What MB Air do you own (year); 2) What Mac OS X is installed on the Air; and 3) You state having an iCloud account, but have you setup either iCloud Photo Library and/or My Photo Stream, as in System Preferences -> iCloud settings (as shown below from my MBPro, OS 11.3). Also, are you currently using the Photos app on your desktop computer and using one of the Apple iCloud options mentioned - if so, are your images being shared across your devices, including the MB Air?

When in Italy, will you have Wi-Fi access in order to use the iCloud photo options for syncing your new images via the laptop (now I'm assuming these Apple photo services will work there - not sure)? Take a look at the links iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream to determine that your Macbook Air and OS X are compatible w/ these iCloud services - please respond to the questions above and add any further inquiries. Dave :)

P.S. I'm assuming that you know how to get images from your camera to the MB Air using either the SD card and/or a cabled attachment?
Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 2.52.47 PM.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey There

Its a Mid 2012.

I do have Photos setup in the iCloud Photo Library and yes it syncs to both my iPhone and iPad. If I take photos from my iPhone is also syncs with the cloud and I can than view them on my iMac at home. (thats what I think would be super cool if I could just somehow upload the photos specifically taken with my camera/sd card)

I will have WiFi Access

I've played with this a bit. I probably have 10 years worth of Photos at this point saved in the iCloud(coming over from the iPhoto App) so the problem with putting my Air into the equation(at least as far as I can tell ) is that it either A) it wants my Air to have some amount of Photos on the hard drive itself (I really don't have room for that) or B) not be connected to the Cloud in anyway.

I'd love for me to just use the Photos App to get the photos off my SD card and put them right into the cloud(or some sort of variant of that)

Appreciate any help you can offer.
Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
Any more insight on this? I'd still love to put my vacation photos from my SD card onto my MacBook Air.....that would than upload them to the cloud....and they are they available when I return home to my iMac(which is where I do all my photo editing)

Remember what I believe is the issue is the Macbook Air's storage. When I turn on iCloud storage it appears to try to fill up my PHOTOS library with as many photos as possible. Even if I have optimize Mac Storage....it still seems to try and fill up the limited space I have on my Mac Book.

Is there anything I am doing wrong or is this simply not an option?

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
You have TEN YEARS worth of photos in iCloud? How big is this iCloud account?

Are you sure they're in iCloud as in accessible from any device with a web browser? Or, are you just using the My Photo Stream to make new pictures available to devices?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jayne,

The way I see things — not necessarily infallible — is that your iPhone and iPad (being iOS devices, as you very well know:) ), behave differently from your iMac - and now your MacBook Air. It is likely that your Air will do the same as your iMac, namely, populate it with all your photos.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see things.

So my suggestion, for what it's worth, is to keep the arrangement whereby you take your photos on your iPhone; it will sync with the cloud and populate your iMac with same. And leave your Air out of the equation by not activating iCloud Photo Library on that device.
Does this seem to make sense?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
What's the real end goal here? Take photos on vacation with a camera and then edit them on the iMac when you get home? Just buy a couple of extra SD cards for the camera and load them directly to the iMac when you get home. No?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm with you ember, that is by far the simplest way.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.