Photos on Mac Mini M2 not syncing to Cloud

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Mac Mini M2, and transferred all of my info from my old iMac to the Mac Mini. It is running OSX Venture 13.3. I also use ExpressVPN. I've noticed that photos are not syncing to or from the Cloud. I tried turning the VPN off and letting the computer sit for hours, with Photos open. Still no luck. It looks like I have Photos set to sync. Any thoughts on how I can restart the sync?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depending on the number of photos to sync, it will take a while. Traditionally, the sync is more of a background task. So, just let the computer go and it will load up the pictures in due time. Your use of VPN doesn't help or hinder this activity.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I recently purchased a Mac Mini M2, and transferred all of my info from my old iMac to the Mac Mini. It is running OSX Venture 13.3. I also use ExpressVPN. I've noticed that photos are not syncing to or from the Cloud. I tried turning the VPN off and letting the computer sit for hours, with Photos open. Still no luck. It looks like I have Photos set to sync. Any thoughts on how I can restart the sync?
Not intending to be rude, but may I ask exactly how you are trying to sync to the iCloud - (and are you expecting to sync to another Device via iCloud?)

The usual way is to open the Photos app > Preferences > iCloud > and ticking "iCloud Photos".

Or; are you not using the Photos app and trying to do this differently?

We are happy to help if we know a bit more about your setup.

Ian

OP
N
Reaction score
Not intending to be rude, but may I ask exactly how you are trying to sync to the iCloud - (and are you expecting to sync to another Device via iCloud?)

The usual way is to open the Photos app > Preferences > iCloud > and ticking "iCloud Photos".

Ian
No offense taken. I am syncing directly to the iCloud. I am using the Photos app and did have the "iCloud Photos" clicked. After searching around, I found that Photos was not set to the System Photos; I'm guessing something happened during the migration from the iMac, but I would not swear to it.

OP
N
Reaction score

Ian
Depending on the number of photos to sync, it will take a while. Traditionally, the sync is more of a background task. So, just let the computer go and it will load up the pictures in due time. Your use of VPN doesn't help or hinder this activity.
After reading your response, I went back and looked at everything. It turns out the Photos was not set to System Photos. I changed that, and the photos are now syncing.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.