Photos is now available

Reaction score
So are you updating and planning on switching over to Photos or will you still keep using iPhotos or Aperture? It seems that most will upgrade from iPhotos to Photos as it's appears to the direct upgrade path in terms of software for iPhoto but apparently, it doesn't have many of the editing tools that Aperture has.

I have Aperture mainly because I wanted an easy interface with the Apple software and I'm more of a prosumer photographer rather than a pro so I wasn't too worried about missing some of the edits that LR offered. It seems with this change though to Photos, I might just make the leap and begin using LR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I have a new iMac and I just went a head and did an update to find Photos app installed, I still have iPhoto.

I have my old iPhoto Library now transferred into iPhoto on my new mac. Have not yet opened Photos as I know not much about it yet and don't want to loose any photos when going from iPhoto to Photos. I'm so used to the setup of iPhoto and wonder if Photos will be much different display wise compared to iphoto.

When opening iPhoto, I get a pop up
Your photo library has been migrated to Photos.
You can open it in iPhoto, but any changes such as editing or adding new photos will not appear in the Photos*app.

So not really sure what to do.

I wish I had saved a copy of my iPhoto Library before it migrated to photos, I didn't realise that it would do this without giving me an option.

When I plug my iPhone, iPhoto launches and adds photos, would this happen in Photos?

Will need to do some reading about photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

… … ...
So not really sure what to do.

I wish I had saved a copy of my iPhoto Library before it migrated to photos, I didn't realise that it would do this without giving me an option.
… ...

Surely you have a virgin copy in one of your backups you could use if needed, no...???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Yep I have a copy in my TM backup which I forgot about :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Aperture will be my DAM, for as long as I can hold it on the latest OS . . . . I have tried LR and that just doesn't do it for me, so I will use Photo's as a iPhoto substitute, and have Aperture for my DSLR images I take.
Im pretty upset with Apple for doing this (let all the basher stand up), that for such a awesome Operating System, to NOT have a dedicated Professional Photo Editor, and I'm sorry but I cannot see Photos getting to the realm of Aperture or LR.
They can sit in their shiny white offices and make FCP and professional movie editing Apps, why not a Pro Image editor ???

Its just not cricket !!!

EDIT: I might even have to look at Nikons Capture NX2 or Phase One route. ACDSee isn't my flavour either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After reading that Photos actually came with the OS X update it migrates iPhoto Library into Photos auto. Which means if I carry on using iPhoto, any new photos will only apply to iPhoto.

I could create Folders somewhere of all new photos I add to iPhoto, to later import to Photos when I must switch over if Apple don't provide more iPhoto updates. But that's just taking up storage.

I opened up Photos and checked it out, it's just OK. One thing I miss and rely on in iPhoto is the 'Photos Name' per lot of photos I add and the order they are all in, from the order/date I add photos. This is why I want to go back to iPhoto.

Photos has Moments BUT all the Photo Albums/Moments have lost there original name I added per lot of photos eg 'At the Zoo'. I would LOVE to know how to change the Location as I'm not interested in Location, I'd rather name it to what the photos are about. Any ideas?? Then I would maybe stick with Photos.

I miss the Full Screen slideshow too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I miss the Full Screen slideshow too

Don't know what you are doing, but if you select all the images you want in the Slideshow, then click the ▷ and then which affect, then it goes straight into FullScreen

UJyNHln.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks TattooedMac for the info, I can now view in full screen :) It was the effect bit that made the difference.
Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Aperture will be my DAM, for as long as I can hold it on the latest OS . . . . I have tried LR and that just doesn't do it for me, so I will use Photo's as a iPhoto substitute, and have Aperture for my DSLR images I take.
Im pretty upset with Apple for doing this (let all the basher stand up), that for such a awesome Operating System, to NOT have a dedicated Professional Photo Editor, and I'm sorry but I cannot see Photos getting to the realm of Aperture or LR.
They can sit in their shiny white offices and make FCP and professional movie editing Apps, why not a Pro Image editor ???

Its just not cricket !!!

I'm with you on this. I have no problem with Photos replacing iPhoto as it seems a fairly logical progression—and you can keep on using iPhoto if you want; it just doesn't sync with the cloud or other apps. Fair enough. Choice.

But Aperture is a robust and well liked semi-professional/professional workhorse. And I need it for the sophisticated editing I need to do in respect of my medical/radiological imaging. Of course, I can keep it, but no support or upgrades on offer. Your last comment re professional video & audio suites from Apple, but no longer a professional-style imaging suite echoes my sentiments entirely.

Ian

Reaction score
Actually i have bad news for you.

10.10.3 Full combo update went online and it won't allow iPhoto at all in fact it removes it and you can't even reinstall it from the app store if you try to run it it states there is a update required for the software to run on 10.10.3 but when you try to update it it says the update cannot be found or is no longer available.

Reaction score
There is a new kid on the block regarding photo editors, it's still in (late) beta at the moment, but even in beta it is still way ahead of most of the competition. And the price when released will blow everything else on the MAC away, including Adobe.
There is also an illustrator destroyer released at £39.99 (translate for yourselves into dollars). If you are serious about graphics/photo's, then you owe it to yourself to check this out https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/ You can also sign up for the public beta of the photo app, there is even a dedicated forum with over 8000 members!
Thanks for this tip! After doing some reading up about Affinity Designer I spent the Can$58 on the Mac App Store and am very happy with it. I had Adobe Photoshop in the past but could not afford it and used to really like Paint Shop Pro and Corel Draw in my Windows days. AD is the app I've been missing in the drawing department. It's working very well with Photos too (drag an image from Photos and drop it into Affinity Designer). I've been using it as a drawing app not a photo editor, but it's great for annotating photos too. Between the new Photos app and AD I think I'm going to be quite satisfied, especially as Apple updates Photos. I look forward to learning more about Affinity Photo, but tend not to mess with betas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give Affinity Photo time, when it is finally released it will be a Photoshop beater without a doubt! And it will sell for around the same price as Affinity Designer!
By the way, Affinity Designer is an Adobe Illustrator beater!

Yes it is already there IMHO, as I have been in the Beta now for the last 8-10 weeks. AD is brilliant with 1,000,000% zoom, and I have stopped my Adobe Photography Bundle Subscription too. Made my $ back on AD already :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.