Photo Stream shutdown

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC with an M1 chip &16 GB Memory
I keep getting a email about My Photo Stream shutdown and do not fully understand the meaning. I have over 13000 photos stored on my computer and they are currently backed up to the cloud. What does this shutdown mean to me?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi @timkins

I have given a lengthy reply to another member on our Forums. I shall try to find it and post you a link.

In the meantime - the email from Apple is genuine. My Photo Stream is about to be defunct.

Apple is offering and recommending iCloud Photos as a substitute, but beware - My Photo Stream was free, iCloud Photos will cost you.

Here is the Post where I laid out the options and consequences as well as a way to deal with this without cost:-

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the reply. Because of the number of photos I have, I have been paying the .99 cents per month to ICLOUD so I guess I can ignore the messages about Photo Stream.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you for the reply. Because of the number of photos I have, I have been paying the .99 cents per month to ICLOUD so I guess I can ignore the messages about Photo Stream.

Yes, you can. That will mean (a) you will need to import your pics and videos to your Mac by cable (as explained in my post) - (b) you will need a BU of those pics/videos that are on your Mac.

99 cents buys 50GB of storage space for everything you BU to iCloud. Is that enough for 13,000 photos and any other BU requirement?

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe it is sufficient. I just checked ICLOUD and I have used about half of the 50 I am paying for. Thank you for reminding me and asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Still furious about this, for me one of the major advantages of having all Apple devices. I'm using Air Drop to transfer from phone to MBP but my iPad misses out (cos it's upstairs!). Won't pay Apple to store 60,000+ photos.
I'm also using Amazon Photos as it's include with Prime.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still furious about this, for me one of the major advantages of having all Apple devices. I'm using Air Drop to transfer from phone to MBP but my iPad misses out (cos it's upstairs!). Won't pay Apple to store 60,000+ photos.
I'm also using Amazon Photos as it's include with Prime.
I’m on your side😠

Ian

Reaction score
Shutdown of My Photo Stream means that the automatic photo syncing service from Apple is ending. For me, with over 13,000 photos stored on my computer and backed up to the cloud, it means I need to find another way to back up my photos. I might switch to iCloud Photos or explore other cloud storage options like Google Photos or Dropbox to keep my photos safe.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shutdown of My Photo Stream means that the automatic photo syncing service from Apple is ending. For me, with over 13,000 photos stored on my computer and backed up to the cloud, it means I need to find another way to back up my photos. I might switch to iCloud Photos or explore other cloud storage options like Google Photos or Dropbox to keep my photos safe.

1. You can sync your pics/videos between your Mac and iCloud Photos (and to/from any iDevice as well); but you only get 5Gb free. Personal view coming: For the price of a "cheap" cup of coffee you can buy 200GB of storage for £2.99 (in USA $2.99) per month. NB the storage limit is for the total of all your data, not just photos.

2. The 13,000 pics/videos on your Mac can be protected by using Apple's own Time Machine. The only cost is the External Hard Drive (EHD). This backs up hourly, then weekly, then monthly etc.

In fact, Time Machine can be used with 2 EHDs if you are worried, as we all are, of a failure of that one EHD.

3. Dropbox costs you money given the size of your library and I believe Google is the same. Why spend money there when you can get 200GB of iCloud Storage and invest in one (preferably two) EHDs almost certainly for less. And they are all Apple-based!

and

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.