Photo of the month: March 2009

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Every picture I see of Chicago makes me want to go back. I was there once but it was overnight and out early the next morning :(. I guess I will have to do with Chicago's sister city of Toronto for now.

Reaction score
Im fairly new to photography, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Please bare with me on the quality.

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
it looks really good.. did you take it on auto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
JayRob,
that is a beautiful picture

Derek,
Great work as usual!

RetroGlide,
the kid's eyes are fantastic!

vansmith,
I love it here. even the winter was not as bad as i thought it would be. you should definitely try to visit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Im fairly new to photography, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Please bare with me on the quality. (outdated link removed)

Other than the light post nice composition. Is this at The Venetian in Las Vegas? If so, I hope you got to check out Peter Lik's gallery there. He's an amazoning landscape photographer.

Reaction score
it looks really good.. did you take it on auto

Thanks! I took it on M-mode on my canon xsi w/kit lens

JayRob,
that is a beautiful picture

Derek,
Great work as usual!

RetroGlide,
the kid's eyes are fantastic!

vansmith,
I love it here. even the winter was not as bad as i thought it would be. you should definitely try to visit.

Thank you sir

Other than the light post nice composition. Is this at The Venetian in Las Vegas? If so, I hope you got to check out Peter Lik's gallery there. He's an amazing landscape photographer.

I was thinking the same thing, but yeah it was taken at The Venetian. Not knowing much about Peter Lik, i actually did get to see his work because the pictures literally pulled me in to take a look ..lol Amazing work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I was thinking the same thing, but yeah it was taken at The Venetian. Not knowing much about Peter Lik, i actually did get to see his work because the pictures literally pulled me in to take a look ..lol Amazing work!

Same thing happened to me when I walked by and just couldn't resist going in. I just wish I could afford a print! Did you see the prices?

Really makes me want to get another DSLR and start shooting again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'll give it a whirl. Took a boat load of photos in Hungary a few weeks ago, and I've yet to really process anything. I'm still trying to figure out which programs suit my work flow best, so everything is trial and error. I've never been a Photoshop guy, so my knowledge of it is extremely limited. I've used ACR to do minor adjustments w/Bridge thus far.

This is a photo of a true Gypsy in a place called Nyireghaza Hungary, which is 2 hours outside of Budapest.

(outdated link removed)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
that is a nice Pic Village Idiot.. that were your settings, did you use a fisheye for this shot, and did you do any post processing to the pic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Fishy was used. I shot the sky exposed properly. Opened another copy with the exposure bumped so there was detail in the ground and moved the sky from the properly exposed photo into the one with the bumped exposure. Them masked it off and used a ton of USM to bring the clouds out. It's a bit much as you can see grain. It would look better if it was toned down a bit.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
vansmith,
Me and a buddy are thinking of a road trip this summer. It's either to Chicago or through Montreal and on to the east coast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
A shot I just took today of my mom's dog with my Nikon D60

(bad link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac core duo 2.4, macbook core duo 2.1, airport extreme, airport express, iphone, iphone 3G
First post. here goes. Taken today

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
@Thetog68
if I may, how much did you edit the image after shooting? besides the vinette ... I really like the colors for some reason, was it lit like that when you took the picture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac core duo 2.4, macbook core duo 2.1, airport extreme, airport express, iphone, iphone 3G
@Thetog68
if I may, how much did you edit the image after shooting? besides the vinette ... I really like the colors for some reason, was it lit like that when you took the picture?
Of course you may. This image has not been anywhere near photoshop, But did have a quick wash in lightroom!!!

The edits done are: Gradient added to darken the sky a touch, Slight desaturation and warmed up a little with white balance slider.
Was trying for a slight painted effect as the light was not ideal.
Glad you like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.