phone problem/iPhone - can't see contacts from phone app

Reaction score
hi,

this has never happened before, I have not changed any settings or configs, but all of a sudden now on phone app the CONTACTS and the FAV (star) buttons are NOT THERE... only RECENTS... and under Recents NO CONTACTS APPEAR.. the list of Recents only includes nos. that are not in my contacts (see attached screenshot), same thing with WhatsApp, under Chats the only numbers that appear are nos. not in the contacts...

I know there is a Contacts app, and I get the contacts from there.. but if you want to send a WhatsApp message to a contact from the Contacts app you can't (unless you're willing to do a video call...)

all this means that if I get a phone call or a message from a contact I won't see it, unless I see it on a lock screen alert, but sometimes you miss those...

HELP.. please.. thank you...

Attachments

• contacts.jpg
    contacts.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
other weird things happening on my iPhone..

1) on Twitter, if I want to save an image it sends me to Settings -> Privacy to allow Twitter access to Photos, but when I go to Settings -> Privacy there is no list of apps..

2) on Instagram, the ADD button (to upload media) is not there...

scary... what is this.. thank you for any help...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Because I'm not seeing what you are seeing could you tell us what iOS you are running? The current version is iOS 15.2

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Power off and on the phone and see if anything changes. If nothing, then depending on the phone, do a hard reset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In addition to what @Rod asked, what iPhone model are you using?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
K
Reaction score
Because I'm not seeing what you are seeing could you tell us what iOS you are running? The current version is iOS 15.2
13.3.1 (I can't upgrade, my phone is too full..) but please don't tell me the reason for my problems is my iOS is too old.. if that were the case, half the iPhones around the world would be behaving like this..

(can't send WhatsApp messages to any of my contacts either, when search for contacts in WhatsApp get no results..)

and thank you very much for any help..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reset/reboot the phone and report back.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's resolved. Your phone is a (small) computer in your hand, so just like you'd reboot your computer when things misbehave, follow the same process for the phone. We tend to never turn these devices off since they behave well enough in that mode.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
13.3.1 (I can't upgrade, my phone is too full.

And now that your iPhone is out of intensive care and running properly.............. how about offloading some of the data/stuff on there and then upgrading to the latest iOS? The iPhone will feel like new! (y)

Try to end up with around 25% free space on the iPhone (or more, of course).

Ian

OP
K
Reaction score
Glad it's resolved. Your phone is a (small) computer in your hand, so just like you'd reboot your computer when things misbehave, follow the same process for the phone. We tend to never turn these devices off since they behave well enough in that mode.
true.. I don't reboot my computer often enough either.. they do need a breather every once in a while.. :)

thank you very much...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Although I promote the idea of keeping operating systems up to date there can be a down side as well.
I did not ask which model iPhone you have or if you sync it with a Mac computer.
If you do then offloading some of your data is easy to do as part of the syncing process.
If your Mac is old, cannot be updated due to age then updating your iPhone can cause syncing conflicts or even incompatibility.
If on the other hand you use your iPhone as a "stand alone" device updating is probably a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I can't upgrade, my phone is too full
Yes you can when you connect (trust/sync) to your PC with either macOS or winOS.

Let us know what you have

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.