personal finance software

Reaction score
i have been using quicken 2005, and finally am ready to upgrade. i don't do online banking, but like to budget and track my expenses. what is the better, quickbooks or quicken, which version, or is there something else? i do use turbotax, so want it to be compatible. thanks for any help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Quickbooks would be overkill if all you need a finance program for is to do personal finances, budget and expense tracking. Go with the latest version of Quicken for the Mac if that's what you're used to. There are several other finance programs for the Mac which you may like. Best suggestion is to go to the Mac App Store and search for finance programs and then read the reviews. As far as being compatible with TurboTax, most finance programs can export data in QIF format which TurboTax can import.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also use the Splasm Checkbook program for simple finances - mostly to keep my checkbook organized and in sync with my bank. Splasm software also has a Pro version of Checkbook which does much more. You might also want to take a look at that too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
i have been using quicken 2005, and finally am ready to upgrade. i don't do online banking, but like to budget and track my expenses. what is the better, quickbooks or quicken, which version, or is there something else? i do use turbotax, so want it to be compatible. thanks for any help

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

In addition to the suggestions already given, take a look at this recent LINK from about 6 months ago for more discussion. Dave

Reaction score
Try xBank from mac OS X app store. Great for tracking expenses. Has some pretty graphs too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.