PDFs print different colour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" (2010) 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 250GB SSD & 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 10.10
I work at a record label that makes CDs on demand so each time someone places an order we make the CD, currently the process is slow because i'm having to print the artwork from within Photoshop where it was designed, when we tried saving them as PDFs and then printing (printed from preview & acrobat) they come out looking completely different, only printing the .psd file from within photoshop it comes out looking pretty much exact to the screen.

The Photoshop workspace is set to CMYK so the problem isn't there, i'm guessing it's to do with colour profiles? which i know nothing about! when i print i set it to photoshop manages colours but i don't change anything else as it prints out correct like that, however we need to start printing as PDF as the quality is far better - really crisp text/colours/gradients etc and it will speed up printing using PDFs.

I know it will never look exactly the same as the screen but printing the PSD file it's pretty close, a lot closer than the PDFs.

How should i save these as PDFs to get the colours correct for printing?

Oh i use Photoshop CC 2014

Screen_Shot_2015_05_27_at_10_09_25.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Going by the pic you posted the PDF one looks closer to the screen output than the Pshop one.
Anyway, yes it's color profiles. Unless there's a reason to I would switch to RGB for printing. Assuming this is a regular inkjet type printer?
If it something commercial stick with CYMK and match the color profile to what the printer uses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.