Password reset is all jacked up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That sounds great, if and when it actually works, but it would be rather annoying if one just happened to be in a hurry when it didn't work. :cry:

- Patrick
=======
Don't be so negative, Patrick! It works probably 95% or more, and the 1 in 20 that it doesn't is not that big a deal. I'll take the 1 in 20 failure with a laugh! (and a finger press to unlock it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Don't be so negative, Patrick! It works probably 95% or more, and the 1 in 20 that it doesn't is not that big a deal. I'll take the 1 in 20 failure with a laugh! (and a finger press to unlock it).

It seems from what you said Jake, that the failure rate was more like 1 in 7.
Be aware that, for me at least, I have to reset that option about once a week.

But it seems like it's a very simple procedure to unlock it when it fails, and I would have thought it would take a bit more effort to do that than the simple method you use to reset it.

I wasn't being negative, I just didn't understand completely that it was so easy for you to unlock it when it doesn't work as expected. I would still wonder why it does that if I owned such a device that acted that way, and maybe something will get fixed in the future.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems from what you said Jake, that the failure rate was more like 1 in 7.

But it seems like it's a very simple procedure to unlock it when it fails, and I would have thought it would take a bit more effort to do that than the simple method you use to reset it.

I wasn't being negative, I just didn't understand completely that it was so easy for you to unlock it when it doesn't work as expected. I would still wonder why it does that if I owned such a device that acted that way, and maybe something will get fixed in the future.

- Patrick
=======
It doesn't fail 1 in 7. The authority for it needs to be reconfirmed once every seven days. I use it to unlock the MBP probably 10-15 times a day, maybe more. So the failure rate is more like 1-2%, tops. And the "failure" doesn't do anything but not unlock the MBP, so I have to use the touchpad to register my fingerprint. Or, on a Mac with no biometrics, the user would have to enter the login password. The Mac isn't locked up, no reboot needed, it is just that the Watch failed to connect properly. It's not even an annoyance, it's just technologically amazing when it does work. And very handy.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You can now set the  Watch to unlock the mac. Be aware that, for me at least, I have to reset that option about once a week. Seems Sundays are the "reset" day.
It does seem a bit odd Jake. I have pretty much the same setup as you, my AW is an SE 2 as is my iPhone and my 14" M1 MBP unlocks the MBP reliably without need for a "reset" at any time in the last 6 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does seem a bit odd Jake. I have pretty much the same setup as you, my AW is an SE 2 as is my iPhone and my 14" M1 MBP unlocks the MBP reliably without need for a "reset" at any time in the last 6 months.
The message is something like "password is required to unlock with Apple Watch." Not that signal is weak, or Watch needs to be unlocked, but that the password is required. As i said, seems to happen pretty much every Sunday for the last couple of months. I looked for a setting that might cause it, but came up empty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The message is something like "password is required to unlock with Apple Watch."
I get that message often, and also something like that on my iPhone. I see a frequency of "look but not see" where the phone sees my face but does not unlock the phone because of the way I am carrying it in my hand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.