Password reset is all jacked up

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So i went to change my password on my 2013 MBP running Big Sur and while i was at it, allow my apple watch to unlock it. Somehow, the settings is now saying there is no password set for this user, and i can't change it because it doesn't accept the new password or the old password. How do i resolve this?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Did you follow any form of instructions? If so can you list the steps or provide a copy. If on the other hand you decided to "wing it" please tell us how you did this.
The process is different for each macOS and changing the Admin User password has a pretty profound impact on a whole range of security functions.

OP
T
Reaction score
I believe it went this way:

Security and privacy settings
Change password
Click use your apple watch to unlock apps and your mac
Set passcode on watch and turn on

I'm a little fuzzy at this point, but i think i let the screen saver come on to test the lock, but it just opened back up and i went to the security tab again and it said a login password has not been set for this user.

OP
T
Reaction score
And now when i try to set the password, it asked me for the old one, but it doesn't accept the old one or the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Do you have another admin account on the machine? If so, you can log into that account and change the password for the one lacking any.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think the Watch thing is just confusing the issue.
Changing the passWORD on you computer's admin user account has nothing to do with unlocking your computer with your Apple Watch.
A passCODE is not the same thing. I assume you have a passCODE, like a PIN for your Apple Watch and that both the computer, iPhone and Watch are all logged into the same Apple ID.

What I'm getting here is that you can no longer log in to your admin user account on your computer. Is that correct? If so, let's fix that first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the system got confused by trying to change an account password AND add an  Watch to it as well. Did you ever get back access to the account? I had asked if you had another admin account, but you didn't answer. And, do you have a backup? If you can't gain access, the options are going to get very limited and a backup will be essential. It's too late to make one, so one can hope your backups are current.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it means anything, but i used my old password to get into my time machine and it worked.

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't think i have. I guess would be afraid i might get stuck on that screen. Right now, i can still use my computer.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Right now, i can still use my computer.

OK. That's fine. But if the old or new problems arise, please come back to us with details.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, I’d like to resolve it. If by chance I have to restart it, I might need the password to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I’d like to resolve it. If by chance I have to restart it, I might need the password to work.
Better to fix it when it's not critical than to have to do it in a panic. Give the article suggestions a try.

Here is another one about using your AppleID to reset the password:

That one needs your AppleID password, which is different from the login password, so should still work.

OP
T
Reaction score
So i believe i have resolved the issue. I went to use the use apple ID to reset, but it ended up directing me to something different. I restarted the mac holding command and R, then went to terminal, reset password. that brought up a box that simply asked for a new password and i was able to input it in ages logged back in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it sorted out. You can now set the  Watch to unlock the mac. Be aware that, for me at least, I have to reset that option about once a week. Seems Sundays are the "reset" day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Be aware that, for me at least, I have to reset that option about once a week. Seems Sundays are the "reset" day.

Just curious about your comment Jake, but it is that a "feature" of some OS, or an annoying bug or a programmed suspected possible security threat reason that it needs to be reset and overridden weekly? At least it would be super annoying for me...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious about your comment Jake, but it is that a "feature" of some OS, or an annoying bug or a programmed suspected possible security threat reason that it needs to be reset and overridden weekly? At least it would be super annoying for me...

- Patrick
=======
Not too bad for me, Patrick. My MBP has fingerprint recognition, so when the  Watch doesn't open it, a finger press does. Then I go to Settings and turn the  Watch off, then on again, provide the password and it's all good. Seems to be weekly, but I'm not really monitoring for it.

The unlock also occasionally fails because the signals aren't strong enough. Frankly, it's amazing it works because it's a three-way handshake between the iPhone, which knows the watch is paired, the MBP, that knows (and trusts) the iPhone, and the Watch, which knows I'm me because I entered the passcode to unlock it when I put it on. And it uses both WiFi and BT to do the handshaking. It's slick when it works, because I just tap a key to wake it up and it unlocks in less than a second.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It's slick when it works, because I just tap a key to wake it up and it unlocks in less than a second.

That sounds great, if and when it actually works, but it would be rather annoying if one just happened to be in a hurry when it didn't work. :cry:

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.