Password problem

Reaction score
I pulled out my old mac yesterday (powerbook G4, OS 10.4) and fired it up. It started fine, but when I went to use disk utilities' check drive option, it asked for a password. As far as I recall, I never gave it one. Could there be a software problem causing it to ask me for one; or, more likely, just my memory has failed me? The password reminder box tells me I left it empty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...or, more likely, just my memory has failed me?

Ding, ding, ding, ding. The most likely answer is...the passowrd was forgotten.;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's asking for your admin password you assigned when you first use your G4. Not a log on password, but your admin password that you have to give whenever you make changes or install software. Yes, it looks like you probably forgot it. ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. I was afraid of that...my memory. Short of reinstalling the system, is there any way to reset the admin password. I do have the original disks...and I know where they are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.