Password not Working on Internal iMac Drive

Reaction score
iMac Mojave 10.14 late 2015 21.5.......have been booting from ssd external ( iMac is hd, also Mojave) went to open iMac to use disk warrior and the iMac wont accept my password.......i use a single digit for password ease ......getting into iMac from booted ssd has not changed and all programs are accounted for just cannot get in through the front door........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
getting into imac from booted ssd has not changed and all programs are accounted for just cannot get in through the front door........

Try doing a complete shutdown, do not just Restart, wait at least 30 to 40 seconds and then Startup fresh and make sure cap locks key is not enabled.

If that doesn't work, do you have an old wired USB keyboard you could try using???

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
iMac Mojave 10.14 late 2015 21.5.......have been booting from ssd external ( iMac is hd, also Mojave) went to open iMac to use disk warrior and the iMac wont accept my password.......i use a single digit for password ease ......getting into iMac from booted ssd has not changed and all programs are accounted for just cannot get in through the front door........
If you mostly boot from the external SSD...and not so often from the internal HD...unless something very very strange is going on...I think the answer is...not using the correct password for the internal HD.

I know this sounds elementary...but what else could possibly be the answer.:)

Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Does the screen register the entry of this single digit, that is does in see the entry of a character? If so, I can only agree with Nick, it's the wrong password.
Does the iMac work (boot) without the external drive connected?
How do you usually swap from one to the other? eg. Do you boot with the Option key held down and choose the boot volume from the resulting screen?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think the key questions that need to be answered were those mentioned by Rod.

No point in my repeating them.

But of those mentioned, the one that has puzzled me is how you can Boot from different sources without telling the system which one to recognise.

I also noted that you wanted to open the iMac in order to use Disk Warrior. That implies an underlying problem in the first place?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I also noted that you wanted to open the iMac in order to use Disk Warrior. That implies an underlying problem in the first place?

Which also leaves me wondering what version of DiskWarrior they might have installed and might be planning to use:

As their web page says:
1) Apple File System (APFS) disks (typically a macOS 10.14 Mojave, 10.15 Catalina or 11.0 Big Sur Startup Disk) are recognized but ARE NOT able to be rebuilt by DiskWarrior 5.2. Click here to learn how to identify an APFS disk.

I believe their later more recent version is able to fix APFS formatted drives, but I did not check.

So lots of answers needed to provide any proper suggestions it seems...

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.