Password for previous owner

Reaction score
I purchased a previously owned mac-book now when I wish to update my software at apple I am asked for a password for the previous owner. I have changed the log in name and password, booting is fine. How can I remove the previous owners name? Any help will be appreciated. Cebustu.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will need to do a clean install of OS X. Once an Apple ID is associated with the App Store on a machine, the software installed on that machine is owned by that user, not the computer.

OP
C
Reaction score
Cebustu2015

Thanks Bob, I have my own apple password which is accepted through Itunes it is only when I try to update apps. Also I note when checking about the computer the previous owners name shows up. Any thoughts, Stu.

Reaction score
lost admin password

How do you do a "clean install"? We have no system disks.

We have taken over a very badly managed non-profit arts organization (501c3) but the previous "workers" left without giving us the admin password for the Mac desktop, v.10.6.8, nor the Apple id. How can we reset the admin password without wiping out any data or applications?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Angela In Blue Give this document a quick read. If you don't know the password to any of the accounts pay particular attention to the section Resetting a password without an additional account.

If you do not have a Snow Leopard DVD now can be purchased from the Store section pf the Apple website.

@Cebustu as Bobtomay mentioned in order to update the apps on that computer you'll need to do a clean install. Backup anything important as a clean install erases everything on the drive. Which version of OS X are you using"

OP
C
Reaction score
Slydude Thank you, the unit is a 20013 and was preloaded with Yosemite OSX No disks.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks again slydude, I will try that as soon as I have enough time to dedicate. Sounds like a few hours, not something to rush over or leave from day to day and forget were you where. Stu.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Slydude, Stu back again. I tried to download the OS X Yosemite from the app store and wanted to put it on a flash drive. Any thoughts on how to do this? I could not see a download happening.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When you start a download from the App Store I believe it puts a progress bar in the right corner of the screen almost directly across from the icon for the software. Here are some basic steps for creating a boot disk that can be used to do a clean install.

The easiest method for creating a boot disk is by following the directions here. It has a link to the necessary software and directions. The link says Diskmaker X Beta but the software is now just called Diskmaker X.Ignore the information about using Terminal commands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.